Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    msvic's Avatar
    msvic Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Aug 31, 2010, 03:52 AM
    Child support for full time student
    My child turned 18 in April , and started Community College this fall . There is no order for me to continue support payments after the age of 18 . My xhusband demands that I have to continue support payments while our child is a full time student . Wouldn't he have to bring me back to court to get an order for further payments and what is my obligation for college . She received full financial aide for this year!
    Please adivse
    tickle's Avatar
    tickle Posts: 23,801, Reputation: 2674

    Aug 31, 2010, 04:03 AM

    Generally support ends at l8 but depends on what the agreement states. No, I don't think that decision is up to him, it is up to the court to decide which will probably be in your favour if she has financial aid. You have to check with your attorney.
    Devorameira's Avatar
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

    Aug 31, 2010, 04:47 AM

    In almost every US state child support stops at 18 years old, 19 if still in high school. If the other parent wants help to pay for college, he/she must have a stipulation in the child support decree.

    In almost every state there is no way to enforce a parent to pay child support past the age of majority, but you should check the laws in your state for an exact age.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Aug 31, 2010, 05:21 AM

    First, since this is a legal question its been moved from the Children forum to the appropriate area. Second, ANY question about law needs to include your general local as laws vary by area.

    That being said, your original child support order will specify how long support continues. If the order does not specify, then local laws govern. If neither require that you continue payments past 18, then your ex will have to go back to court to extend the order, and there is little likelihood of a court going along with that.

    However, aside from the legal aspects here, he's still your son and you should be willing to help HIM. Notice the him. You can now give him money directly if you want to give him some spending money.
    twinkiedooter's Avatar
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

    Aug 31, 2010, 08:52 AM

    Your exhusband can demand all he wants but if this stipulation was not in the original child support order that was entered and signed by the Judge he will have to take you back to court to have it amended accordingly. You are under no legal obligation to continue child support payments.

    You can, as Scott pointed out, pay any money you wish directly to your child and not have to go through your ex.
    msvic's Avatar
    msvic Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Aug 31, 2010, 03:20 PM
    Thank for all your answer's they all were greatly appreciated and very very helpful...
    tickle's Avatar
    tickle Posts: 23,801, Reputation: 2674

    Aug 31, 2010, 03:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by msvic View Post
    thank for all your answer's they all were greatly appreciated and very very helpful....
    I am pleased that you found some that were appropriate, but you do know that your ex cannot call the shots.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Student dependent visa UK, Full time or Part time work? [ 26 Answers ]

I have student visa of UK and I study in university. My wife recently came in London. She has student dependent visa. She doesn't study. Can she work full time? How many hours she can work? Thank you

Can a 19 years old ful time student file for child support , state New York [ 5 Answers ]

Can a 19 years old college student file for child support , state New York?

If my daughter is 18 and a full time student do I still pay child support [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is 18 and has a baby girl. Her mother asked her to leave the house about a month before her 18 b-day. I have been paying her mother child support. The divorce decree? Does state that I am only obligated to do so until she turns 18. My question is can I ask for support from the mother...

Live in MA, Student in NY: Full-Time/Part-time/Non-Resident? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I am a 21 year old student attending a college in New York. Last summer (2007) I stayed on campus - as opposed to coming home and living with my parents in Massachusetts - and worked/earned an income through the school. However, the previous winter break, which ended in middle-January 2007, I...

Full time student with Full time housewife [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Hope someone can help. I am going to professional school. My wife and I have three children and are living completely off student loans. We had no income in 2006 that had a W2 attached to it. That is, the only income we made was off eBay and odd end jobs throughout the year. Do I need...

View more questions Search