Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Tulipwrench's Avatar
    Tulipwrench Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Aug 4, 2007, 02:49 PM
    Child support/custodial parent moves in with boyfriend
    I just got ordered by court to pay $200 a week in child support for my one daughter. Now I find out from my 9 year old daughter that her mommy's boyfriend has been living with them and now are moving into other house. He is paying for everything.

    My question is can my child support be lowered? Since he is paying for everything.

    jrb252000's Avatar
    jrb252000 Posts: 410, Reputation: 28

    Aug 4, 2007, 03:19 PM
    I don't think it matters since he is not the legal guardian of your daughter. If you feel that it is too much money I believe you can go back to court but then they go through you finances etc. I remember my dad did that to my mom and the court ordered him to pay even more child support.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692

    Aug 4, 2007, 04:33 PM
    Not in our state, in our state, child support is based only on the income of the person paying. Not the income of the other party, or their household.

    The attorney that handled your child custody can give you more info on your state.
    s_cianci's Avatar
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

    Aug 5, 2007, 05:36 PM
    Generally, no. The boyfriend has no legal obligation to support your daughter, so theoretically he is paying nothing for your daughter, even if the actuality is different. You are the father and you are the one legally obligated to support your daughter. The money you pay is supposed to go for her living expenses ; food, clothing, medical care, etc. Certain "community" expenses necessary for the sustenance of all members of a household, such as rent/mortgage, utilities, transportation and other things can be considered as well, so it is legitimate for mom to spend a portion of the weekly $200 on these things as well.
    macksmom's Avatar
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

    Aug 5, 2007, 06:04 PM
    No, as stated above, her boyfriend is not responsible for supporting your daughter. Regardless of living situations you are still going to have to pay what the courts ordered... based solely on your income and the mothers income. And you said you "just got ordered"... if it is a new order it cannot be re-evaluated for 3 years.
    1badchoice's Avatar
    1badchoice Posts: 227, Reputation: 45
    Full Member

    Aug 5, 2007, 06:12 PM
    No, no, no! Your support is ordered based on the two biological parents income and responsibilities to your daughter. Even if she lived with someone who won the lottery or came into a large inheritance, it would not lower your support obligation. You pay support based on you and the child's mother supporting the child. If the child benefits from the living situation she is in that is considered more of a gift. Just like if your daughter and her mom lived with her parents (grandparents of your child). No one but you and the mother have a duty to the child. It saddens me that your looking for some way to lower your responsibility. Children are extremely expensive. Often the non custodial parent has no idea of the real expenses as he/she only looks at major expenses not the daily living expenses, medical, educational, social expenses. Quit looking for a way out. Do your duty and be a good father in every way possible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custodial Parent Move Away [ 7 Answers ]

In the instance where there is a current DV restraining order against the NCP, together with limited visitation between the NCP and the child, the parties were never married, and the custodial parent already has both 100% legal and physical custody, does the custodial parent need permission from...

Custodial parent being deployed [ 9 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- My ex-husband and I have been divorced since 2002. We have a 8 yr old son. Our son lives with his dad, who was just stationed out in California. Our son visits me in MI every summer, over major holidays and even lived...

Can custodial parent move out of state [ 1 Answers ]

I have primary custody of my children, their father has seen them only one weekend in the past two months. Can I move out of state, or am I bound to stay in the state I am in?

Move away order for custodial parent [ 2 Answers ]

I'am the custodial parent that lives in California needs to ask for a move away order to move to another state for a job transfer. We have joint custody. How do I go about asking the court for a move away order? How far in advance does this need to be done?

How to get child support for children of a parent on ssi [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I would like to know what do I do if my two kids father draws ssi?the ? Is how do I get help for my kids? Do I need to apply for ssi for the both? He doesn't have to pay but should I have to do it on my own?

View more questions Search