Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    chases mom's Avatar
    chases mom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 13, 2008, 02:19 PM
    Child Support for children with disabilities
    I need help on this topic. I have a 13 year old autistic child, the father doesn't want to pay child support. He quit a $17.00/hr job for a job that doesn't even pay min. wage (5.22/hr bring home $60.00/wk). This past February I had to quit my because he became very ill due to kidney problems. The judge told me there was no reason for me to quit my job everybody can't go around quitting jobs due to their love one lifelong illeness? I didn't quit due to him being autistic, I quit to take care of him due to another ordeal. Anyway, the father hired him a lawyer but you only make $60/wk and can afford a lawyer. I didn't quit to try to get out of taking care of my resposibilities, I need to take care of him. Please help me! Chase's mom
    George_1950's Avatar
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

    Jun 13, 2008, 03:21 PM
    Welcome to AMHD. Just curious: do you have more than one child? More than one child with disabilities? And what state?
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692

    Jun 13, 2008, 05:01 PM
    A few thiings, if you can hire an attorney, you try to prove though his life style, the home he lives in, the car he drives, you get though the court copies of his bank records, To prove he is making more money, if he is.
    But the court can not force him to work, or to work at a 20 dollar a hour job, All they can do is order him to pay according to his current income.

    And chid support will never be enough for you to live off, so as a single mom, sadly yes you are going to have to work, even if it from home doing something
    N0help4u's Avatar
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

    Jun 14, 2008, 09:13 AM
    Have you ever applied for ssd for your son?
    Receiving child support from the dad shouldn't be determined on your income or lack of it.
    He is the father it should be his responsibility to pay something.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collecting child support for adult children [ 4 Answers ]

I am wondering if it is possible and legal to collect child support for a child that is already grown? I never married my oldest daughter's father and didn't pursue child support because I was afraid that it would force me to allow him unsupervised contact. At the time, her safety was the most...

Child support for non biological children [ 6 Answers ]

I am separating from my common law husband of almost 6 years... I have an 8 yr old from a previous relationship and we have a 5 yr old together My oldest doesn't remember before my ex, calls him dad, and he has referred to him as son since the age of 3... We are making arrangements , doing a...

Paying child support for children that are not mine what if anything can I do? [ 1 Answers ]

I was married to my ex-wife during that time we had two sons. Not long after our yongest son was born I went to prision during which time my ex wife became pregnant. When I got out of prision I filed for a divorce which she fought.( It took over three years for the divorce to come through). She had...

Resources for children with disabilities [ 2 Answers ]

Need to have contact information of agencies in the community that provide resources for children with disabilities.

How to get child support for children of a parent on ssi [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I would like to know what do I do if my two kids father draws ssi?the ? Is how do I get help for my kids? Do I need to apply for ssi for the both? He doesn't have to pay but should I have to do it on my own?

View more questions Search