Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    EBH2001's Avatar
    EBH2001 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 15, 2010, 12:38 PM
    Child support and arrears but child will be living with non-parent while in college
    I am a non-custodial parent living in Atlanta, GA paying my court appointed child support plus arrears. This year my daughter will be 18 and will be living with me (coming from Sterling, VA) while going to college. Is there a way to negotiate the arrears amount or settle out on an agreed amount since she will be living with me and going to school? I don't want to still be paying my ex-husband and she is no longer there.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Jan 15, 2010, 01:45 PM

    You have to go to court and ask for a modification of the support order. You will still have to pay the arrears, but you should no longer have to pay support while she is living with you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Legal age in Indiana to stop child support for a child in college [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know when I can legally stop paying support on my step son who is going to be 22 and is still in college

NYS child support arrears, step parent [ 1 Answers ]

I own a home in NYS. Can the state put a lien on my home for child support arrears owed by my spouse fot another marriage?

Child support arrears and child 19 now and out of school [ 6 Answers ]

My stepson is 19 now and out of school. My husband's ex wife was supposed to be paying child support but has not paid in years. Now that she no longer has to pay can we still get the back due payments she owes us?

Child support in arrears, non-custodial parent recently awarded SSDI [ 1 Answers ]

I have a case in the Kings County Family Court of New York. The non-custodial parent of my three children has been ordered to pay child support ever since the 90's. He has not paid , and is in arrears ove $66,000.00. In court he claims he can not work or even pay the modification of $25.00 a month....

View more questions Search