Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    juanawin's Avatar
    juanawin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    May 17, 2007, 08:14 PM
    Child support 12 years later
    How can support be order after 12 years of dening I am the father? Another man took that responsibility after I was told I was not the father. The bad thing about it is this woman may have been on the system, will I have to pay all that too? I am requesting a paternity test ASAP!
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7691

    May 17, 2007, 08:17 PM
    Depends on your state, in most, it does not matter how long it takes to prove, if you are proved by DNA to be the father, yes they can collect back child support and yes the state will come after for money from where the child collected welfare. ( this is where they really hunt the father down, when the state wants their money)
    The other man may have been tested and may not be.
    1badchoice's Avatar
    1badchoice Posts: 227, Reputation: 45
    Full Member

    May 17, 2007, 08:32 PM
    Denying you're the father is not enough... You have to prove that your not the father. Maybe another man took responsibility for a period then decided he wanted tests... could have proven he was not the father. Now your being looked at. It's unfair that the mother didn't get this issue resolved much closer to the child being born however she didn't and the "state" wants to be reimbursed. They don't care who does the reimbursing. You could be ordered to pay support for an interim (until paternity is proven), you could be ordered to pay in absentia (even though your not present as you were notified?), or you could be ordered to pay as there is more evidence that you are the father than evidence that your not. Basically, you need to contact child support enforcement and request paternity tests... in writing. Not just verbally. To speed things up you could have course get an attorney. I want to say for women everywhere... I don't agree with not having a father know he is in fact a father. Men have rights and some women have absolutely no respect for that fact. I'm truly sorry you weren't given the chance to be a father from birth forward if you are in fact the father. Run don't walk to child support/attorney to get this issue settled. Cathy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support and Child Custody [ 7 Answers ]

I was wondering If child support and child custody are the same. I have a six year old daughter and I want to see her badly but her mother is holding child support over my head. I'm not saying she shouldn't but I have given her money on many occasions and for a year consitantly. Yet she refuses to...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child Support after child is 18 yrs. Of age [ 5 Answers ]

If there is a court order in a divorce decree that the spouse is to pay child support until the child is 18 yrs. Old or until out of school, but the child support was never received, nor was it taken before Family and Children's services to enforce it to be done, is it possible years later (child...

No child support in year don't want ex to be involved with child. [ 3 Answers ]

My ex has not paid any child support in 1 year. I did not take him to court. I really don't want him to be involved with the child because he has uncontroled mental illness. What rights does he have? My new husband wants to adupt him well that be possible and how? Do I have any rights that well...

Sued for child support after 15 years... [ 4 Answers ]

I got divorced 13 years ago when my son was 2yrs old. We agreed on no child support/alimony (married for less than 2 yrs). She is legally the custodial parent even though we have 50/50 custody (offsetting weeks). I actually have him more than 50% of the time as she often asks me to have him here...

View more questions Search