Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    twix128's Avatar
    twix128 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jul 5, 2009, 01:51 PM
    Child collecting back pay from parent ssdi and child support
    My dad is disabled and child support and disabilty have been taking money out of his ssd check every month for my sister and I, but being in foster care there has been no payee for either of these for the past several years. I'll be 18 this year and my dad told me I could collect the money that's been accumulating since I've been in this system as back pay. Does anyone know if this is true or how I would go about it?
    s_cianci's Avatar
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

    Jul 5, 2009, 01:55 PM
    If payments have been withheld from his SSD then they should have gone to your custodial caregiver on your behalf. If all of this money is unaccounted for (after coming out of your father's SSD) then your custodial caregiver or foster care caseworker should contact whatever agency in your state is responsible for child support collections and disbursements and attempt to find out where all that money's gone.
    twix128's Avatar
    twix128 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jul 5, 2009, 02:06 PM

    So far it is unaccounted for because there is no payee. The state doesn't apply to collect, however if someone else applies to be the payee while a child is in foster care the state intercepts it and takes everything. So if the money is coming out of his check does it just sit in an account somewhere waiting to be signed for?
    s_cianci's Avatar
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

    Jul 5, 2009, 02:15 PM
    Possibly. It's hard to say for sure. But it sounds like you're dealing with a rather strange system there. If your father was ordered to pay child support, via SSD garnishment, then there'd have to be an obligee (your father would be the 'obligor') who is designated to receive payments on your behalf. Normally that obligee (or, as you're calling it, "payee") would be your primary caretaker ; in your case, if I understand your post correctly, that'd be your foster parent(s). After all, it defeats the purpose of child support to have the money garnished from your father's income only for the state to sit on it as that doesn't do you much good.
    twix128's Avatar
    twix128 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jul 5, 2009, 02:23 PM

    My mother used to collect the money, but after we were taken from her the payments stopped going to her and no one applied to take them over. And my foster parents had previously attempted to apply for other children's benefits but the state told them they couldn't because they weren't guardians and took it instead.
    twinkiedooter's Avatar
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

    Jul 5, 2009, 03:22 PM

    Please go down to the Social Security office and speak with a representative in person BEFORE you turn 18 otherwise you may forefeit any monies due to you. The State may have intercepted the money and used the money to pay towards your foster care. The folks down at Social Security will be able to investigate this and advise you just where the money went. Don't call them up. Go in person.
    cdad's Avatar
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

    Jul 5, 2009, 04:44 PM

    Also if a parent is receiving SSD the child / children should also be drawig from it so long as the benefit level was reached in the first place. You need to check that out because it shouldn't just be part of his SSD. Also why isn't he taking care of you ?
    stinawords's Avatar
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

    Jul 5, 2009, 08:29 PM

    You can contact the ss office as mentioned but I would bet the government intercepted it because they pay fosterparents a certain amount of money each month so any support collected would be used to pay back the government. It is the same with people collecting cash assistance from the government they forefit child support in order to receive the cash from the government.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a step-parent be forced to pay child support for their spouses child? [ 9 Answers ]

My friend's husband has a child from a previous relationship that she just recently found out about. He has no relationship with this child but has been paying child support for the past 2 1/2 yrs. The child is presently 6yrs old. She has heard through a someone that knows the mother of the...

Child support issue-Child no longer with custodial parent [ 22 Answers ]

My child is 18 yrs old and is no longer living with her mother.I am paying child support in New Hampshire and have recently learned through a subpoena that my daughter is living in New York state. Can child support charge me in 2 states on the same child? What steps can I take to have the child...

Child support in arrears, non-custodial parent recently awarded SSDI [ 1 Answers ]

I have a case in the Kings County Family Court of New York. The non-custodial parent of my three children has been ordered to pay child support ever since the 90's. He has not paid , and is in arrears ove $66,000.00. In court he claims he can not work or even pay the modification of $25.00 a month....

Ssdi & child support [ 1 Answers ]

I thank you for your reply. I suppose I was not specific enough in my question. My son is over twenty one, so there is no current support. The state of Oregon is garnisheing my social security disability for support in arears. I have been looking through Oregon, rules and ssdi rules but I haven't...

Collecting Child Support and Not Caring for Child [ 4 Answers ]

My sister in law is trying to place her 3 year old sun for adoption without the father's consent, which I know is wrong but what I'm more consered about is the fact that the child is living with a different family not the mother who has custody. The mother (my sister-in-law) is still collecting...

View more questions Search