Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Deborah1955's Avatar
    Deborah1955 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    May 9, 2017, 03:35 PM
    Child abandonment
    In the state of Mississippi if you have a 17 who ran away and threatened to burn the house down with his mom in . And is very abusive to his mom. He was arrested but now the dhs has accused his mom of abandonment when he was the one who left the house and would not come home. The dhs has said she will be getting 2 years jail time for abandonment. Is there something that we can do.
    J_9's Avatar
    J_9 Posts: 40,273, Reputation: 5644

    May 9, 2017, 03:56 PM
    How long was he gone and what did the mother do to try to get him home?
    talaniman's Avatar
    talaniman Posts: 54,043, Reputation: 10852

    May 9, 2017, 04:06 PM
    Not enough info. Has the mom been charged or arrested,or just accused? There has to be an investigation and also who has custody of this 17 year old?

    If formal charges are filed then a lawyer is recommended.
    joypulv's Avatar
    joypulv Posts: 21,593, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

    May 10, 2017, 03:03 AM
    Are you the mother? I'm finding it hard to believe this story is true.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,300, Reputation: 7691

    May 10, 2017, 07:08 PM
    DHS first don't arrest they often threaten for many reasons.

    If he ran away, was he reported, and if they did not report him as running away, why not, if he did not get reported that is one issue.

    If the threats to do harm, where they reported to the police.

    If no
    Then there is not much evidence to say you are protected.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,970, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    May 11, 2017, 04:31 AM
    As noted DHS does not prosecute. They can only recommend prosecution. So the question is are they just threatening to get her to take back the child or have charges been filed in court?

    Additional details are needed to properly advise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question about owing $100K in child support and child abandonment [ 4 Answers ]

Good afternoon, In July of 2007, I gave birth to a little girl and although her father and I were no longer together, we decided to add his name onto the birth certificate so he could assume all legal/financial responsibilities. For about the first 2 months, he would see her and provide her...

Can I file child abandonment warrant? My exhusband hasn't paid 5 months child support [ 2 Answers ]

It's been five months and he now owes $9,000 and refuses to pay. I filed a contempt of court order paperwork and the law has made four attempts to serve him but was unsuccessful. What can I do next? Can I file a child abandonment warrant or just file another contempt of court paperwork again until...

Give up on child support or face child abandonment [ 5 Answers ]

I have PTSD from domestic violence and have to take medications which do not allow me to drive. I have custody of my three children. The court has ordered that I pick the children up from visits; I don't even have a car right now. I thought of asking that he provide all transport in lieu of...

An a mother who leaves her child with its father be arrested for child abandonment? [ 2 Answers ]

Can a mother who leaves her child with its father be arrested for child abandonment??

Should I File for Child Abandonment or Continue to Wait for my Child Support Hearing? [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old child out of wedlock and I broke up with his father since September 2008. He was abusive and I had him arrested. After he got out of jail, I allowed him to still see our child. We agreed that he would pay the child support without the courts being involved. Well of course that...

View more questions Search