Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    htoadd7's Avatar
    htoadd7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jul 18, 2009, 04:56 AM
    Changing custodial parent & child support
    My son is 17 will be 18 in November.He lives with his mother and I pay child support to her.He wants to live with me(Her husband has verbally abused my son for 11 years)He wanted to do this 2 years ago but they talked him out of it.I want him to live with me.My question is how to I go about changing the court order for child support and can his mother stop him from doing this.He has already moved his cloths in and his mind is made up that he is not living with them know more... We live in West Palm Beach Florida... Thanks for any advice
    s_cianci's Avatar
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

    Jul 18, 2009, 05:05 AM
    File a motion with the court that issued the original order asking that you be awarded physical custody and she be ordered to pay you child support. Be prepared to present witnesses to your ex's verbal abuse towards your son and prepare your son to testify on his own behalf. Also freely testify to anything that you have witnessed firsthand yourself. The facts are, he is 17, 4 months away from being 18, has expressed a desire to live with you and claims that his stepfather verbally abused him for 11 years. All said, you probably stand a pretty good chance of getting your motion granted.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Jul 18, 2009, 05:30 AM

    The thing here is that it may take four months to get this through the courts. They may very well drag their heels since, when he turns 18 the issue will be moot.

    Another factor here is that you are violating the court order. You are putting the cart before the horse. You get the custody order changed FIRST, then he moves. Otherwise the court may consider the fact that you violated the order.
    JudyKayTee's Avatar
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

    Jul 18, 2009, 06:09 AM

    I will be astonished if the Court entertains a change of custody when the filing occurs just 4 months short of the 18th birthday.

    The Courts are busy, too busy for a matter which will conclude naturally in 4 months.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custodial parent gave child to Non Custodial Parent now wants him back? [ 2 Answers ]

My husbands ex called us back in October and said that she could no longer handle their son (he is 7) and she was afraid she would "snap" one day and hurt him so we moved him in with us. My step son calls his mom on a daily basis he is doing better in school, and as a family have started...

Child support issue-Child no longer with custodial parent [ 22 Answers ]

My child is 18 yrs old and is no longer living with her mother.I am paying child support in New Hampshire and have recently learned through a subpoena that my daughter is living in New York state. Can child support charge me in 2 states on the same child? What steps can I take to have the child...

Child support in arrears, non-custodial parent recently awarded SSDI [ 1 Answers ]

I have a case in the Kings County Family Court of New York. The non-custodial parent of my three children has been ordered to pay child support ever since the 90's. He has not paid , and is in arrears ove $66,000.00. In court he claims he can not work or even pay the modification of $25.00 a month....

Non custodial parent rights in death of a child he pays support for [ 5 Answers ]

Friend who is non custodial parent - his daughter killed last night in car wreck in MD. What are his rights as to state of burial. Mother moves around. He pays child support to Lancaster, PA, where they did live. SHe wants child buried in SC where she is moving to.

Child support/custodial parent moves in with boyfriend [ 5 Answers ]

I just got ordered by court to pay $200 a week in child support for my one daughter. Now I find out from my 9 year old daughter that her mommy's boyfriend has been living with them and now are moving into other house. He is paying for everything. My question is can my child support be...

View more questions Search