Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Louis919's Avatar
    Louis919 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jul 3, 2007, 06:36 AM
    Changing Child's Name and adding Father to Birth Certificate- Texas
    I am the father of a 3 year old son. My name was not put on the birth certificate. His mother has since died and I gained full custody through court. I had to submit a DNA to prove I was the father to get custody. My question is this, how can I get my name on his birth certificate and have his last name changed to mine? I've read the Texas Vital Statistics website but am confused. Do I need a lawyer? I did have one at the time of the custody battle, but he has since stopped returning my calls for this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would like to have this done before he starts school.
    angelz921's Avatar
    angelz921 Posts: 73, Reputation: 3
    Junior Member

    Jul 3, 2007, 06:49 AM
    Go to Vital Statistics get the paperwork to add father to birth certificate AND the one for the name change. The people will give the appropriate paperwork to you if you ask. You need to show proof of the mother's death certificate, DNA test and probably the paperwork showing you are now the primary custodial paperwork. Fill out, pay the fee's and mail it off! It is just that.

    What was confusing about the website?
    Louis919's Avatar
    Louis919 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jul 3, 2007, 07:00 AM
    I guess the confusing part was trying to figure out what paperwork is needed. Now, I don't have a copy of the DNA, I assume I can either ask the attorney who handled it, or would that be public record? Thanks for your quick response to my original post.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Jul 3, 2007, 07:03 AM
    You shouldn't need the DNA. All you should need is the court order awarding you full and sole custody and maybe the mother's death certificate.
    angelz921's Avatar
    angelz921 Posts: 73, Reputation: 3
    Junior Member

    Jul 3, 2007, 08:06 AM
    He will need proof that the mother past away because the paperwork requires both parents signatures in order to do the paperwork. If the court order granting you sole guardianship state's that the was a result of the mother passing then you should still call your local Vital Statistics and make sure. If you send the paperwork and make a mistake it only leads to a bunch of headaches and a longer wait, most of the time they are willing to answer every question you have about it.
    tawnynkids's Avatar
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111
    Senior Member

    Jul 4, 2007, 10:15 AM
    Here is a link to the form you will need to use and it's instructions:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding father's name to birth certificate [ 10 Answers ]

What's the process for adding a name to a birth certificate years after the child is born?

Wrong father on child's birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

My daughters birth certificate is incorrect. While stationed in the military at Fort Jackson S.C. I had my daughter. The wrong father is listed on her birth certificate. While living in South Carolina I was told that I needed a lawyer to fix the problem. I never had the money to correct the problem...

Adding a fathers name to birth certificate [ 2 Answers ]

Now that Paternity has been established, how to I go about adding the father to my son's birth certificatr?

Adding fathers name to birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

How do I add a fathers name to a birth certificate that just has the mothers name on it. I live in Florida

New step father wants to adopt child that has no father on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new step father and I wish to adopt my 4 year old step son and my 8 year old step son . The 4 year old does not have a father listed on the birth certificate and the 8 year old does but the bio-father has not made any kind of contact in 5 years but is court ordered to pay child support and...

View more questions Search