Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    amy2337's Avatar
    amy2337 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jul 16, 2008, 05:43 PM
    Change name of my child
    My son is 7 years old. He hasn't seen or heard from his father in almost 2 years. He has been asking me and my family if he can change his last name to my last name. How do I go about doing this? What does it involve? What are the costs?
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,303, Reputation: 7692

    Jul 16, 2008, 05:47 PM
    A lot will depend on where you live. In some places you will have to get the bio fathers permission, esp if he has his name and he is on the birth certificate, in other states you may not. Even what court does it, will differ by state, here it is the probate court, but will be one of the county courts in the US.

    First stop the county clerks office and see what your state requires , here it is merely a form that is filled out, notorised and filed at court, cost a few hundred dollars.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child name change [ 2 Answers ]

How do I go about changing my kids last name to mine? Their father and ii were never married but he is on the birth certificate but no custody has been established. I have had them 24/7 and he barely sees them. They are 4 and 2.

Last name change for child and adoption [ 1 Answers ]

My son's biological father never signed his name on the birth certificate. Years ago I went to family court to get child support & took documents to begin the process but I never continued with it. Seven years later Im happily married and my son wants to have his stepfathers last name. My husband...

I want to change the father for my child [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 21 month old son. On his birth certificate his biological father is listed. Fortunatly his father hasn't been active in his life since he was five months old. I'm now in a relationship with a man that plans to marry me. My fiancÚ has been present in my sons life since he was six months...

My child wants to change her last name [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is 17 and her biological father has not been in her life for at least 8 years. She wants to change her last name to my current husbands last name, he is the only father she has ever really had. She wants to change her name before she graduates or gets her licence. I don't have much...

Child name change [ 1 Answers ]

Never mind

View more questions Search