Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Slater09's Avatar
    Slater09 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 22, 2009, 04:08 PM
    Canadian unmarried mom on work visa lives/gives birth in California.
    I am Canadian citizen working legally in California. 2 years ago, I gave birth to a son (unexpected pregnancy). A few months after he was born, I left his father. His father signed a declaration of paternity, and his name is on our son's birth certificate. I have never been married, work full time, and live with my son. His father watches him when I work (12 hr shifts) and vise versa. His father also has one overnight visit a week. The problem is that my ex and I do not get along in the least. He is a recovering 20 year alcoholic with 2 DUI convictions (one prior to his 18th birthday, and one about 5 years ago). He claims to have 2 years sobriority, and completed inpatient rehab while I was pregnant (good times). The long and short of it is his passive aggressive/moody/toxic tendencies are making my life miserable. My entire family and support system is in Canada, and I'm contemplating moving back. He loves our son, but our interactions are draining the life out of me. What are my rights?
    cadillac59's Avatar
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

    Apr 22, 2009, 06:33 PM

    You have to go to court and request a move-away. He can hold up your move for a long time if he wants to and he can also ask for a full custody evaluation. So, if you want to move away, file right away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Canadian looking to work and live in California [ 5 Answers ]

I am a young Canadian woman looking to live in the U.S. (specifically California). I do not currently have a degree or diploma as I am trying to decide what to do in terms of a career path. I am skilled in many areas and have diverse interests so I have struggled to decide where I would like to...

Unmarried no court order child lives w/mom [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter has lived w/me from her birth & her father moved 6 hours away. I have given him time to get it together so he can contribute financially towards his daughter but 2 1/2 yrs later $0 has been paid monthly. He ends toys & clothes every couple months but no monthly payments or offer to pay...

US Work Visa for Canadian Wife of US Husband [ 1 Answers ]

My son had a Canadian girlfriend come into the states for a visit. She came by bus so she did not need a Passport. They got married during this time. She is wanting to get citizenship down the road, but is trying to see if she can work first so they can save up enough money for that. What...

Unmarried Father's legal rights to his child in California [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering what the legal rights are of an unmarried father of a child in California. ( I am writing on behalf of my brother and out of concern. He has yet to seek the help of a lawyer. My brother and his ex-girlfriend had a child together 1 year ago. He never wanted to marry, and...

View more questions Search