Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    macdaddy1111's Avatar
    macdaddy1111 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    May 14, 2012, 11:59 AM
    Can my wife if we get a divorce take my little girl out of state to live?
    My wife and I may be in the process of divorcing. She says she spoke with a lawyer already and "THey" came to the conclusion that after a year of legal separation in this state (LA). We can divorce and then after phychiactric treatment of the both of us they will decide who is more fit to keep the child and if it goes her way she can move her to MO. Please tell me if this is true and what I should do. My little girl is my only child. Wife wants to move back to Missouri with her mom and her 19 year old daughter from previous marriage. PLEASE HELP. I can't lose my baby!
    AK lawyer's Avatar
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977

    May 14, 2012, 12:12 PM
    She can take your daughter where ever she wants (within the U.S.) unless there is a court custody order in effect providing otherwise. So could you, for that matter. Are your wife and daughter still living with you?
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,304, Reputation: 7692

    May 14, 2012, 12:47 PM
    In addition to the divorce, you need to file in court for a custody order. It decides who gets custody of the child and visitation, in the custody order, it can state that the custody parent can not move out of state.

    She is lying about most of what she is telling you, I would say she has not even talked to an attorney and for some reason, is wanting to scare you, most likely to try and get you to agree to something else.

    You need to hire an attorney, and for sure if she really does have an attorney.
    Get the name of her attorney, if you don't know, tell her that your attorney will need to serve papers on her though her attorney.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    May 14, 2012, 01:20 PM
    While it may be possible, in fact probable, to have a divorce finalized after 1 year of separation. The part about taking the child is bogus.

    Unless this psych eval proves you a danger to the child the most it will do is determine the primary custodial parent. You would still petition for visitation and joint legal custody. This you would be likely to get. And if you have a visitation order that specifies a regular visitation, she will not be allowed to move the child without court permission.

    You need to consult your own attorney to determine whether the 1 year separation route works for you. You also need to make sure that any court filings you do indicate that you want primary custody or generous visitation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I live in WA state,can I change the locks on my house so my wife can [ 5 Answers ]

I live in WA state,can I change the locks on my house so my wife can not come in as we are separated, I filed for legal separation today and she has moved out and sent an email stating she wants no more contact with me and our two daughters.

I live in Illinois.. divorce and have sole custody of can I move out of state ? [ 15 Answers ]

I currently live in Illinois where I got my divorce... I was awarded sole custody of my children and I am wanting to know if I can move out of state.. there is nothing in my divorce papers that state I cant...

My wife took my child out of state, I live in Texas. [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in the Navy, stationed in Dallas Texas, and have been there since August of 08. This past April, my wife left me, and took my child with her to Florida, where her mother lives. She left under the pretense of returning. She left to go to her grandfather's funeral. Did she break any Texas or...

Joint State taxes when I live in 1 state and wife lives in another [ 3 Answers ]

Presently I am living and working in NM. My wife and children are living in MA. My wife does not work. In order to get MA health Insurance I had to set my permanent address in MA for my company. I am now paying state taxes to both states. Should I be paying taxes in the state that I am not living...

Can wife move out of state with child after divorce and residency in state [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I are living in Ohio, have been residents for 9 months and have a 14 month old child. If we divorce and she would get custody, could she ever move out of the state

View more questions Search