Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    bmpjwp's Avatar
    bmpjwp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 24, 2008, 08:21 AM
    Can I sign over rights and not pay child support?
    I found out a year after my son was born that he was mine. So I had to start paying child support and back child support. Then she was calling wanting me to be in his life so I said yes. She called the law and said I was going to cut her and the baby's neck so they put an order of protection were I couldn't see the baby which I've never laid eyes on anyway. He is 2 1/2 years old and the protection is up but I still can't see him, so I just want to give up all rights. If I give up all rights will I still have to pay child support. I live in Fayette County, TN. PLEASE HELP!! :confused:

    >Moved from Forum Help<
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,970, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Apr 24, 2008, 08:38 AM
    If you had looked in the Family Law forum instead of bypassing it and posting in Forum Help ignoring the warnings not to post questions there, you would have already had your answer.

    The courts do not take a relinquishment of parental rights lightly. State laws differ on whether a Termination of Parental Rights (TPR) terminates support. However, the courts will generally not grant a TPR except in two instances. First, to clear the way for an adoption and second if the parent presents a danger to the child.

    They will not grant a TPR just to allow a parent to stop paying support.

    Now, with your past history of a restraining order, you might get off by being a danger, but I don't think you want that on your record. What I think you NEED to do is hire an attorney to protect your rights to visit and be part of your child's life rather than abandoning the child.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,303, Reputation: 7691

    Apr 24, 2008, 12:41 PM
    First as noted, in TN you can not give up your rights, and if you even were able to somehow, you still have to pay child support.

    What is at issue is that the mother lied, and got a protection order, so you need to go back to family court and get your child visitation given back, even if it is supervised to start with, And after you prove you are safe with the child get more visits.

    *** now the mother is already proven to be nuts or schemeing, so don't ever go to her house, get a third party to pick up the child, and do it all with proof of what you are doing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why does anyone sign away parental rights, if they still pay child support? [ 10 Answers ]

I've been doing lots of reading up on signing away parental rights, and have read over and over that you are only signing away your rights, not your responsibilities or obligations. What I don't understand, is, why would a father choose to sign over his parental rights, yet still be obligated...

I want to sign over rights and terminate childe support [ 9 Answers ]

My ex wife has asked me repeatedly to sign over my rights for the last year and half. She has finally been married for a year to her new husband. I have been paying $1012.00 a month since the divorce. I go divorced in Ohio. I moved to Arizona to get my head on straight. It worked. I have tried...

Father wants to sign over rights, Not wanting to pay child support out of paycheck [ 4 Answers ]

The father of my son wants to sign over all parental rights, and apay child support on his own and not through the paycheck. Is that possible? Is it also possible if I go to welfare and try to get assistance that they won't go after his paycheck? I need the help, but I don't want his...

Father Wants to sign away his rights so he doesn't have to pay child support [ 3 Answers ]

Is this legal? Can he do this? Will the courts allow it since the child support was court ordered? His wife and him are trying to bully me into hiring a lawyer and having the paper work drawn up for this. They both were convicted of child abuse against my son and she has a no contact order...

I can a man do sign over his right to child support? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello my question is that if a man signs over is prenatal sign do he still have to pay or can the jugde still make him pay child support? The reason why I am asking this question is because I have a son for this guy and now again am pregnant with his second child now he is talking about signing...

View more questions Search