Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    VioletPerry143's Avatar
    VioletPerry143 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Oct 29, 2013, 09:57 PM
    Can a mother just sign over custody to a family friend?
    Is it possible for the separate parties to write up an agreement, giving that each biological parent willingly signs over rights pertaining to the child? The mother has given up her all her children and because this child is also a boy she is giving him up. Is there any way possible to avoid the courts, like just getting a notarized document stating she is granting them legal custody? Both parties reside in Alabama and also the family she is wanting to give him to has a cousin that used DHR to get custody of her last child.. Its quiet complicated and the courts make it impossible for a quick agreement.
    smoothy's Avatar
    smoothy Posts: 25,495, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

    Oct 30, 2013, 04:55 AM
    Its called adoption and it has to be done through the courts... otherwise the parent ALWAYS retains full rights.

    One does not sign away rights to a child in any other way.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,970, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Oct 30, 2013, 05:19 AM
    They call it legal paternity for a reason. It has to be legal. Children are not property that can just be handed around.

    A parent cannot just sign over their rights to another person. They can often grant temporary guardianship. But Custody and/or adoption would need to be approved by a court.

    The courts make it "impossible for a quick agreement" for a reason. They are charged with overseeing the best interests of the child and need to be sure as to what that is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am a mother of two kis ,which my mother has custody of, how can I sign over my righ [ 2 Answers ]

I am the mother of two kids which my mother has custody of, how can I sign my rights away to her and will I still have to pay child support?

How can a father give full custody to the mother, or just sign over his rights? [ 3 Answers ]

I have to pay child support for my son who at which I do not see at all because I don't get along with the mother. We were dating never married and she ended up getting pregnant. I haven't seen him in over a year and I just want to give up my rights and just give the mother full custody because I...

Father has custody after mother abandoned family [ 4 Answers ]

I have 3 beautiful kids, ages 13, 11, and 6. my husband and I are legally separated. He has full sole custody. Legally have visitation. Which states every other Sunday supervised visits at his moms . I abandoned my husband and kids 4 years ago and got into a lot of trouble. But now that is all...

Mother in jail and wants to sign over temporary custody. WA [ 1 Answers ]

First off I live in Washington state. My fiancee's daughters mother is in jail and I went and visited her today and she thinks it would be a good idea to sign over custody right now. There's only two problems, I don't know how to start this (and I need to register her for school in just a couple...

View more questions Search