Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    sixxie's Avatar
    sixxie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 15, 2009, 10:34 AM
    Can a mother change a child's last name back to her's if she was never married
    My daughter is 2 now and after 2 years of lies and trying to work out our differences I have finally decided it is in her best interest and welfare for us to leave her father. She was born in Florida and we relocated to Philadelphia, PA. I found out he was lying about something major when hew as supposedly working he was simply not doing. I came to visit with my family in nyc and decided to remain here with our daughter after discovering his lies. I want my daughter and myself to share the same last name. Either to hyphenate her name by adding my last name to her father's. It will avoid uncomfortable questions once she is of age to go to school. Can I do this? How do I go about doing this? Her birth records originate in FL and we are currently in NY. He gives me no support for her since we left and he has not asked to come see her.
    stevetcg's Avatar
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

    Jan 15, 2009, 10:52 AM

    Not without his permission. Sorry - but as far as we know, he is her legal father.
    cdad's Avatar
    cdad Posts: 12,697, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

    Jan 15, 2009, 05:49 PM

    Fisrt off get a lawyer and go to court for visitation and support. At that time you can ask about a name change. You can't change it without the fathers permission. If he's not on the birth certificate then your going to have to jump through hoops to show that you had searched for him. Since you seem to know where he is then now is the time to act and get the ball rolling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mother hyphenationg child's last name with stepfather's name [ 8 Answers ]

I recently found out that the mother of my daughter (we were never married) has been hyphenating my daughter's last name to include her new husband's. Even though we were never married, my daughter was giving my last name. I see her several times a week, talk to her several times a week, I have...

Change my child's last name [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 6 year old daughter who has her biological father's last name, although he did not sign the birth certificate no acknowledge paternity in the courts. He does not nor has he ever paid any child support. He has no contact what so ever with her. The only father she knows is my new husband...

Child's name change [ 1 Answers ]

How can I change my toddlers last name to mine in Indiana? Her father and I were never married. He does see her and pay child support pretty regularly. I am the custodial parent.

How to Change child's last name [ 2 Answers ]

My son was born 5 years ago. His father wasn't there to sign the birth certificate. How can I change my son's last name to my married name and have my ex to sign over his rights? He doesn't see our son and our son has said on a number of times he doesn't want to see his biological father anymore....

Minor child's last name change parents never married both last names on Birth certifi [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is 10 and I need to know how to change her last name. Both last names of the parent and non custodial parents last names are on the Birth certificate (hyphenated) but she only uses one name, however schools she attends uses both with the non custodial parents last name first. She...

View more questions Search