Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    preciousnpink's Avatar
    preciousnpink Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 17, 2007, 03:14 PM
    Can he sign over rights?
    I am 22 years old and live in California and recently found out that I am pregnant. I am happy but my ex boyfriend is not. He is in the army and feels this baby and I will ruin his military career. He feels I am only keeping this baby so I can receive the benefits from the Army. He wants to sign over his parental rights. If he signs over his rights will he still have to pay for child support?
    J_9's Avatar
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646

    Feb 17, 2007, 04:00 PM
    Yes, relinquishing praental rights does not relinquish you from the monitary responsibility. It only means that he would not have the right to make decisions concerning the welfare of the child.

    Only under certain circumstances would relinquishing rights absolve him of child support, adoption being one of them.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Feb 17, 2007, 04:32 PM
    There are several threads in this forum that all discuss this issue and all same the same thing. You can't relinquish financial responsibility. Please review them for more information
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692

    Feb 17, 2007, 05:52 PM
    First his story is bull, actually being married is considered a good thing for many promotions, ( not as much as it may have been 20 years ago)

    He just does not want part of his money to go to you, he does not care really about giving up his rights, he wants to give up support payment.

    Since he is in the military, once the child is born, get a support order, and they will take the child support payment out of the pay before he gets it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question about a father who wants to sign over his parental rights [ 11 Answers ]

I have a question about a fathers parental rights. Can a father request to the state to sign over his parental rights? I have a friend of mine that has a child that he has never seen - and lives in California while he lives here in Minnesota and pays child support. The mother refuses to allow...

Can I sign off my parental rights [ 27 Answers ]

I have 2 kid that live in Washington state and I live in houston I want to sign off my rights can you do that or not I was told the only way was if my ex wife got married and the man wanted to adoped my 2 kids can anoy help me with this

How do I sign away my rights to a child in Texas? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old that I know nothing about and she has a step parent figure in the picture who would adopt my daughter. How do I go about doing it and who is finacially responsible for it?

Getting Him To Sign His Rights Over [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out how I go about getting my ex to sign his rights over and whether I can have him forced to sign them. My ex husband is a danger to my children and I have had to have two protection orders filed against him and five warrants for harassment and I just filed another for...

View more questions Search