Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Wildsporty's Avatar
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38
    Full Member

    Mar 12, 2008, 02:38 PM
    Here is where I am coming from and I can't do all states, but I do know it has been done.

    Relinquishment usually occurs as adoption plans are being made. However, relinquishment is sometimes sought where the likelihood of adoption is remote, as where the other parent does not want to relinquish his or her parental rights. If a proposed relinquishment of parental rights is not in contemplation of adoption, under §32A-5-24(C) the court may not allow the relinquishment unless it finds that:

    Good cause exists;
    CYFD has made reasonable efforts to preserve the family; and
    Relinquishment is in the child's best interest.
    A parent who relinquishes under this subsection remains financially responsible for the child and the court may order the parent to pay the reasonable costs of the child's support and may use the child support guidelines. §32A-5-24(C).
    GV70's Avatar
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

    Mar 24, 2008, 04:57 PM
    JudyKayTee agrees: Wow - flies in the face of everything I've ever seen happen. Very informative, certainly changes what I've always believed. Do you have anything from NYS?

    Yes,I have some:) :) :)
    Jordana27's Avatar
    Jordana27 Posts: 28, Reputation: 0
    New Member

    Nov 4, 2009, 06:19 PM

    You can go and sign away your rights. Also if she did die you could give the child up for adoption and never see that child again. If she get married and the guy wants to adopt and you want to sign over your full prental rights you won't half to pay. Also NO parrents is responsible for their kids college money. Same as you can not force a kid to go to school. I know this for a fact I have friends who have given up their rights to pepole in their family and out side of their family as well. They are in NO way obligated to pay anything once it is final (they are responsible for suport up until the date as final.) I would go to a lawyer and tell them you won't to give up rights. Once the rights are given up though that is it. Also I have a friend was adopted at around 4. Her biological Mom in this case didn't want her anymore, gave up her rights and never saw her or paid a dime. So their are ways out depending on your state. Good luck hope that helps. Also I want to say you are doing a lot more then most guys who do not want a child you are paying child suport and that says a lot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why does anyone sign away parental rights, if they still pay child support? [ 10 Answers ]

I've been doing lots of reading up on signing away parental rights, and have read over and over that you are only signing away your rights, not your responsibilities or obligations. What I don't understand, is, why would a father choose to sign over his parental rights, yet still be obligated...

Give up rights to a child--still pay child support? [ 11 Answers ]

I live in Florida and have a question about giving up the rights to a child that has been determined by DNA testing. If rights are given up, does that parent still have to pay child support?

Do you still have to pay child support if you give up your rights to a child? [ 15 Answers ]

My boyfriend found out he had a child last summer. The child was already six months old when he was told it was his. My boyfriend had a one night stand with this woman. He didn't and still doesn't even know her. One day she just saw him driving and called out to him, raising the child into the...

How to give my boyfriend parental rights of my child that is not his [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I just wanted to as a ? Concerning my four year old son. When I had him I put the father as unknown and now I am wondering how to get my boyfriend to have parental rights over him I am in canada and I am so lost I want to get this over with now cause he has always known him as his dad and...

He wants to give up his parental rights in order to stop child support payments [ 12 Answers ]

3 years ago I dated a guy who was is in the army:( and got pregnant and had our daughter on June 4th 2006. I thought he would be here for me but it turns out he was married. His wife had no idea and I didn't either. After not hearing from him for 6 months he called and said that he had been...

View more questions Search