Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    DeCo10's Avatar
    DeCo10 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 27, 2009, 02:59 PM
    Can father agree to surrender full custody rights to the mother of child?
    My question is Can my daughters father consent full custody to me with out going to court?

    My daughter is going to be 2yrs of age, I am the sole caretaker of her. I have provided everything to my daughter with out the need of her father. We were never married and she does not have his last name. Even though he does see her once in a while that is when I take her to see his family. For the reason that the grandparents want to have a part of her life. He other wise does not show any interest in her well being.

    I am in speaking terms with him and I have agreed for him to see her when ever he wants. I know that at this point he does not have any legal right towards her for he has not shown or established paternity.

    But I would want him to sign a document and get it notorized stating that he declines his rights to custody. Just in case he does one day want to take my daughter away. Is this possible can He sing his rights of custody to me even if he at this point does not have any legal obligation.

    He has already mentioned that if I ever start a new relationship with another person he will want custody of the child and will go to court and do what is needed to have her too. I truly don't believe this is fair and would want to avoid all this ordeal ahead of time.
    stevetcg's Avatar
    stevetcg Posts: 3,694, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

    Jan 27, 2009, 03:03 PM

    You can have him sign anything you want, but it will never hold up if some day he goes to court with a change of heart.

    Sorry that he is trying to use your child as a pawn, but frankly, he is the father and will be entitled to the rights and responsibilities that goes with that should either of you pursue them.

    No - he cannot sign his rights over to you.
    cdad's Avatar
    cdad Posts: 12,688, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

    Jan 27, 2009, 04:37 PM

    I didn't see any mention of child support ? At this time it would be best to go to court and establish both child support and visitation. At that time the courts would request a DNA test be done. Get those things straightened out now.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,970, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Jan 27, 2009, 04:48 PM

    I would check with a local Family Law attorney. There may be a statute of limitations as to how long he can try to establish paternity.

    As Steve said any such paper he signs will not hold up in court.

    And he is blowing smoke if he thinks he would get custody in the future because you enter into another relationship.

    Unless he can show somehow that you are unfit as a parent, he's not going to get custody changed.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,303, Reputation: 7691

    Jan 27, 2009, 05:01 PM

    He is doing the threatening to take the child, so he scares you into not asking for child support,

    This is so common, read about every 5 th child custody post and you see something similar.

    What you need to do, is get court orders, you need to get a court order showing sole legal and physcial custody, and he then does not have to ask for child visit. The court will set the state required support

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Self supporting mother is taking to court by abusing exs father for custody of child [ 3 Answers ]

Can a grandfather be awarded custody of a female child if mother has no police record, no drug or alcohol abuse, and is self supporting?

Name change for child when father won't agree [ 3 Answers ]

My son has his dad's last name. At the time of his birth I agreed that he should have his dad's last name. However, about a week ago, his father assaulted me and put our son in life-threatening danger. As a result the courts have ordered him to stay away from me and our son or risk being...

Custody of a child to father - mother deceases [ 6 Answers ]

I have a questions, recently a friend died of breast cancer and left behind a 3 year old. She left a document that she wanted her mother, the child's grandmother to raise the child. The dad, although absent from the child life, has now stated that he wants custody of the child. The dad is better...

Step parent adopt child when he is married to mother with full custody [ 1 Answers ]

I have full custody of my daughter. Her father barely calls her when he does it's about once a month and he tells her jokes. She is 6 will be 7 in April. He does pay child support. He is active duty in the Army stationed in Germany I don't know where he is exactly because he remarried and moved...

Mother signs all parental rights to father, now wants custody [ 1 Answers ]

My Friends Ex wife signed over custoday to him 3 years ago. She did have the kids once after the break up. Before the divorce, and couldn't handle it, she told him to come pick them up. After the divorce she signed over all her parental rights to him. Three years later she has a job, and taking...

View more questions Search