Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Bradk818's Avatar
    Bradk818 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Dec 13, 2017, 06:43 AM
    I am a US citizen that married a girl from Ukriane in her city, divorce

    I am a US citizen that married a girl from Ukriane in her city of Zaporozhye almost a year ago. We have been waiting for immigration to approve her to go for an interview to come to the US. In the beginning things were great, I visited several times and we traveled places. Now she is asking for me to buy her a car, gold, fur coats etc or and she is also requesting I send her thousands of dollars monthly before she will come or she wants a divorce. Is there some law or rule that if I have been taken advantage of and she married me for money I can a get the marriage dissolved? I do not want to be married to a person that threatens me to buy her things before she is even here or she will divorce me.

    I would appreciate your response with my options please.

    smoothy's Avatar
    smoothy Posts: 25,495, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

    Dec 13, 2017, 07:22 AM
    Only a year... you've got a long way to go... took my wife 2 years and she only got hers then because I pulled some political strings (my Wife was Italian) but there really wasn't much time apart, she was here for a while, and I was other there the rest....she wasn't a "mail order bride" I met her when I was living and working over there for a lot of years.

    You can file for Divorce.. you don't NEED her agreeing to it. And if she is doing this now... I expect it to get a lot, lot worse if she ever did get here. It does seem like she is taking advantage of you. To me anyway.

    You didn't say where you are living right now...if you are in the USA...file for divorce then contact the INS to cancel the application. You file from where YOU live...where you got married makes no difference at all.

    My guess is she's in it for the green card..then she would leave you once she had it.

    She doesn't need THOUSANDS of Dollars monthly to live there, AND a Car AND fur coats....most Ukrainians live on a tiny fraction of that and manage to raise entire families on it.
    talaniman's Avatar
    talaniman Posts: 54,328, Reputation: 10855

    Dec 13, 2017, 09:41 AM
    Here are your options, but for the money, a local lawyer would be worth it. Where are you residing NOW?

    Divorce in Ukraine. Laws and Userful Information

    I would file TOMORROW morning no matter where you live, and be home by NOON wherever you deem that to be and without her. The sooner you file, the better!
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,302, Reputation: 7692

    Dec 13, 2017, 05:21 PM
    First so many mistakes, you needed not to marry, till she got to the US, it actually takes longer after you are married.
    I got my wife here and her green card within 9 months but that is not normal. Many take years. But once married, if you meet all the income needs for immigration, they could have gotten a temp visa for her to come pending approval for immigration. Your attorney should have known this.

    But it sounds like she never planned on coming to the US, and just saw you as a sourse of money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Married Mex Citizen in Mexico do I need to file for divorce and where? [ 0 Answers ]

US Citizen (me), married my soon to be ex (Mexican Citizen) in Mexico, do I need to file for divorce if I never presented the marriage certificate in the United States? He is in Mexico, I'm up here... he's down there, I was going to move down there until he told me on December 19, 2010 through MSN...

If I married a us citizen in jamaica where do I file for divorce? [ 1 Answers ]

I got married in jamaica but I now live in newyork but I want to file for a divorce can it be done in jamaica my wife is an american citizen she was the one who filed for me to come to ny,we got married in 2007.

American/jordanian citizen, married to syrian; want divorce [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I was born in jordan and lived in the states; dual citizen. I'm now living in syria, and married to a syrian. I have a daughter that is now 4 months old born in syria, but with a jordanian birth certificate and plan to get my daughter american citizenship. Our marriage license is...

A divorce girl want to get married again parents not agree [ 13 Answers ]

what islam says about getting married second time without parents permission?my friend she wants to get married with her cousin.she has divorce from her first husband.she has 1 daughter as well.her parents not agree to get married with her cousin. she really wants to get married to him because of...

I married a us citizen girl but she had affair with anerican guy [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I married with us citizen girl , I came here on marriage base visa. I have green card for two years. But my wife live with one american guy and they have baby too. So after 6 moth my green card is expired so what should I hove to do to extend my green card.

View more questions Search