Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Runtwe's Avatar
    Runtwe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Nov 2, 2013, 11:58 PM
    Adopting a child when the adoptive parents want to relinquish their rights (SC)
    I was contacted by a family member (cousin) because she is wanting to relinquish custody of her adoptive daughter to my husband and I. We are willing to do so but not sure how to get this done. I know there is paperwork and a court date. We want to fully adopt her so the "previous adoptive family " has no chance to take her back. We are in SC they are in GA. Can I do this without a lawyer? Preferably!
    joypulv's Avatar
    joypulv Posts: 21,593, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

    Nov 3, 2013, 03:56 AM
    You really can't do it without a lawyer, and the fact that the child is adopted already means even more legal help needed.
    Your best bet is to arrange a guardianship for now, which they need to start at Family Court where they live, and they won't need a lawyer for that. Adoption will take a while. Plus the parents need to realize that they won't be able to adopt again, most likely. And they need to experience being away from the child in case they change their minds. You are right that they can't once the adoption is final.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,970, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Nov 3, 2013, 05:11 AM
    Adoption is a legal process and has to be done through the courts. Because the child was the subject of a previous adoption I would not do this without an attorney.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What right do adoptive parents have over their adopted daughters child? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a son and I was just wondering what rights my adoptive parents have over him?

Questions about adoptive rights for biological parents [ 2 Answers ]

What are the rights of the birth parent who has willingly given their children up for a closed adoption in terms of gaining contact with their children?

Adoptive parents' rights [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Florida. My friend and his wife adopted his son and his sons sister, who is not related to my friend. Their mother wanted them back, so my friend signed over guardianship to her. Now she doesn't want them again, and is telling my friend he must take them back because they are the...

Adoptive parents want to voluntarily terminate their parental rights [ 4 Answers ]

Our 16y/o adopted daughter is adjudicated unruly and classified as a dependent child. She is in foster care with no chance of returning to live in our home as she has many behavior issues that we are not equipped to handle. We are being charged high child support fees including 100% medical...

Both parents want to relinquish parental rights [ 8 Answers ]

I have received an e-mail from my x-wife and her husband that they want to do an "adoption reversal", what ever that is, on my teenage son. He was adopted by his stepfather several years ago. Now he is too much trouble for them. They have sent him to stay w/a family member. They are willing...

View more questions Search