Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    chaos1108's Avatar
    chaos1108 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 15, 2008, 05:38 PM
    Adding name to birth certificate
    How do I have my name put on my daughter's birth certificate? Paternity was acknowledged at her time of birth, the mother and I were never legally married, my daughter does have my last name yet on birth certificate, yet it states 'Information not Entered'. I do not understand how it can state that after I already acknowledged paternity in hospital. I've been paying child support for the last five years with regular visitation. The mother is refusing to go with me to a state office building to have my name added. What do I do?
    N0help4u's Avatar
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

    Apr 15, 2008, 06:17 PM
    I don't know if that is common for the state to not put your name on the birth certificate right off the bat. IF it is not common then I would say she pulled something to not include your name especially when she is refusing to cooperate with you to get it added. You say paternity was acknowledged at time of birth. That doesn't sound like a paternity test. My suspicion is you should file with the child support court for a paternity test.
    I may be way off on this but it seems to add up.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692

    Apr 15, 2008, 06:29 PM
    Acknowlege of paternity and the mother listing your name on the birth certificate and you signing the birth certificate at least in the states I know are two separate things. You will have to file a petition ( not sure if that is family or probate court or another court in your state) to have the name added. So basically you will need an attorney. If the mother does not object it should be easy, but if she objects I am not sure you can force them to change the child's name. But they may add you to the birth certificate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding father's name to birth certificate [ 10 Answers ]

What's the process for adding a name to a birth certificate years after the child is born?

Adding father's name to birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

How do you go about putting a fathers name on a child's birth certificate after the child's been born?

Adding the father's name to a birth certificate. [ 1 Answers ]

I am Bahamian, my child was born in New York. I did not list the father's name on the child's birth certificate. He is not american. How can I list it now.

Adding fathers name to birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

How do I add a fathers name to a birth certificate that just has the mothers name on it. I live in Florida

View more questions Search