Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    marisalavrador's Avatar
    marisalavrador Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 9, 2017, 06:12 AM
    Abandonment of a child
    My husband wants to adopt my daughter but the problem do I need to ask authorization to the father of my child since he sign the birth certificate?my child is illegitimate because we not married. And he didn't give child support and didn't see our child for almost 9 years now.need legal advice thank you in advance

    talaniman's Avatar
    talaniman Posts: 54,051, Reputation: 10852

    Mar 9, 2017, 06:51 AM
    Your child is neither abandoned by the father, nor illegitimate, because you weren't married, so whether you need permission from the bio father for your husband to adopt is dependent solely on the state, or county, or country in which you reside.

    So where are you, or simply Google your local adoption laws. Many require permission, or a formal effort to get it.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,970, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Mar 9, 2017, 02:58 PM
    Any question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

    In most areas, any petition for adoption has to be approved by both parents. However, if a good faith attempt is made to locate the other parent and it fails, a court may still grant the adoption. If the other parent refuses to agree, it may still be possible to override the objection if it can be proven it's a benefit to the child.

    Bottom line here is you need a local attorney to help you get through the adoption courts.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7691

    Mar 9, 2017, 06:28 PM
    In America, not sure where you are at. The father, (often even if not listed on Birth Certificate) has to be found (or attempts to find) and notified. Normally permission is much easier and cheaper,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question about owing $100K in child support and child abandonment [ 4 Answers ]

Good afternoon, In July of 2007, I gave birth to a little girl and although her father and I were no longer together, we decided to add his name onto the birth certificate so he could assume all legal/financial responsibilities. For about the first 2 months, he would see her and provide her...

Can I file child abandonment warrant? My exhusband hasn't paid 5 months child support [ 2 Answers ]

It's been five months and he now owes $9,000 and refuses to pay. I filed a contempt of court order paperwork and the law has made four attempts to serve him but was unsuccessful. What can I do next? Can I file a child abandonment warrant or just file another contempt of court paperwork again until...

An a mother who leaves her child with its father be arrested for child abandonment? [ 2 Answers ]

Can a mother who leaves her child with its father be arrested for child abandonment??

Should I File for Child Abandonment or Continue to Wait for my Child Support Hearing? [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old child out of wedlock and I broke up with his father since September 2008. He was abusive and I had him arrested. After he got out of jail, I allowed him to still see our child. We agreed that he would pay the child support without the courts being involved. Well of course that...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

View more questions Search