Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    lovingmommyof7's Avatar
    lovingmommyof7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 14, 2015, 10:34 PM
    Can I file abandonment charges?
    My sister dropped off my nephew to me on 12/31 and here it is 3/15. During that time she has taking him once for 2 days. She has not provided for him at all. I have to buy everything and she gets to collect his welfare money. She doesn't call to check on him but will write a comment saying that she loves him on my Facebook when I post pictures of him. The baby is 7 months old now. From the day he was born I have always been there supporting him because she lives on welfare and only gets $32 every 2 Weeks and can't afford everything he needs so my question is can I get her on abandonment charges?

    Please help I live in ny
    talaniman's Avatar
    talaniman Posts: 54,244, Reputation: 10853

    Mar 15, 2015, 03:03 AM
    She left him in your good care so, NO abandonment charges do not apply. Where is she and what is she doing?

    You could get child protective services involved, or the welfare department, so instead of posting Facebook pictures you should be issuing threats for more of her money.

    I suspect a lot more to this story.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,304, Reputation: 7692

    Mar 15, 2015, 05:35 AM
    Agree, had she left him in the bathroom of Walmart, that is abandonment. But she left him well provided for.

    You can call social services, and CPS, and see about getting temp custody, of the child. As for as money, doubtful if she has any money to pay you child support.
    joypulv's Avatar
    joypulv Posts: 21,593, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

    Mar 15, 2015, 05:37 AM
    Why the leap right to 'getting her?' You want punishment and retaliation?
    Just tell her calmly that she either gives you the $32 each time,
    or she takes him back,
    or you call CPS and surrender the child to them.
    If that isn't what you want to do, and I suspect that you do care, then work out something with her. You have options; one is that she gives you guardianship through the court. Various definitions of that arrangement can be defined, especially regarding when and how quickly she can change her mind. You can apply for her assistance.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Mar 15, 2015, 06:00 AM
    What does "get her" mean to you? What is it you ultimately want here?

    As noted, she didn't legally abandon the child because she left the child in the care of a responsible adult. The only thing you might get her for is Welfare fraud if she is getting aid based on her having the child.

    On the other hand, you have no legal right to that child. You cannot legally authorize medical care since you are not a legal guardian.

    Before we advise further we need to know what you really want out of this.
    AK lawyer's Avatar
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977

    Mar 15, 2015, 06:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    ... so instead of posting Facebook pictures you should be issuing threats for more of her money.
    OP should be very careful with threats. It appears that the mother may be engaged in welfare fraud. OP could be accused of complicity in that crime, if she is not careful. In particular, she should do nothing to aid the mother to continue to get the welfare.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Abandonment charges [ 2 Answers ]

My daughters biological father was not in her life (by choice) until she was 3 years old. He took me to court to get joint custody and they gave him every other weekend and he was supposed to start paying child support. He has not paid any child support and is over $11,000 behind. He started...

Abandonment charges [ 4 Answers ]

How long does a parent have to be gone before you can file abandonment charges?

How can she press abandonment charges? [ 2 Answers ]

My brother received divorce papers in the mail. He has been separated from her for little over a year. She is trying to press abandonment charges on him. He has tried to contact her and her mom several times. She has changed her cell phone number 3 times. Told him he wasn't allowed at her house. I...

Abandonment charges [ 1 Answers ]

How long do I have to wait before I start abandonment charges?

Abandonment charges in ga? [ 4 Answers ]

I need some help PLEASE! I got a divorce 3 years ago and have a child support order in place for my 2 children which my son his a special needs child with Autism... I was afraid for almost 2 yrs to get child support enforcement involved when he started getting behind.. cause he had...

View more questions Search