Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    sizzors316's Avatar
    sizzors316 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 2, 2007, 10:19 PM
    1 child turning 18,1 still under 18
    I have 1 child that just Graduated High school and I have a 9 year old still at home, I know that child support ends for the 18 year old,does that mean the child support is reduced to half of what I was getting for the 2 kids? And what happens if the person paying child support get another job and is making more money, should the payment increase or stay the same?
    bushg's Avatar
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

    Jun 2, 2007, 11:57 PM
    If your 18 year old is continuing their education then the parent still has to pay child support. I believe until 21 maybe older... as far as them making more money yes you can take him to court and have it reviewed. That doesn't mean that the judge will award you more it but he will consider it. Also your ex can fill out his cost of living papers and that will also determine if you get more money esp. if you earn close to what he earns or more. Also if your child were to quit school at age 16 the child support could be stopped. Hope this helps
    Clough's Avatar
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

    Jun 3, 2007, 02:04 AM
    Good answer above. And, bushg may be correct about the continuing education thing. It does depend on the laws where you live as to whether child support will continue after the child turns 18 if the child is going to go to college.

    You can always file for modifications in child support based upon the income level changes of the person who is responsible for paying the child support.
    shygrneyzs's Avatar
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

    Jun 3, 2007, 06:43 AM
    Check your divorce papers - in the section of child support it will state the conditions. For example, child supprt of x amount of dollars until child turns 19 or graduates from high school, whichever comes first. If your ex is to continue child support for your 18 yr old, it will state that. The condition may be that the child is enrolled in college.

    Yes, you can ask for a review of your child support. Usually every 36 months, but that is spelled out in your divorce papers. Call your child support enforcement agency and ask when the last review was done.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,292, Reputation: 7691

    Jun 3, 2007, 08:30 AM
    Your divorce document should either explain, or it will be figured by the terms of your state, No most likely it will not be 1/2. it will be less than you are paying but still more than 1/2 since it will figure it by the formula of your state.

    Next if the child is 18 and going to college, you will still be paying in most states in the US. Normally you will continue to pay till they are 23 if they are in college or other school.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Give up rights to a child--still pay child support? [ 11 Answers ]

I live in Florida and have a question about giving up the rights to a child that has been determined by DNA testing. If rights are given up, does that parent still have to pay child support?

Father seeking child custody of an unborn child [ 8 Answers ]

How can I get partial custody to my unborn child? The mother refusing to name me as the father. I know I can file after the baby is born, but I want to be there for the birth of my child.

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child turning 25 [ 1 Answers ]

I have a child turning 25 in April 2007, she is a full time student and lives at home. I know that insurance can only cover until she turns 25. I heard that once she turns 25 I cannot claim her as a dependent any longer as well. So, if I keep her on my insurance until she turns 25 in April am I...

View more questions Search