Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    John Bold's Avatar
    John Bold Posts: 58, Reputation: 0
    Junior Member

    Feb 9, 2011, 01:03 AM
    1.5 year, no children, no money request and still waiting lawyer to divorce

    My girlfriend (who is still legally married) filed a divorce on October 2009 and since then she (actually now it's WE)is still waiting for divorce decree. Nobody is asking for money, no assets to share, no children... to make it short, It supposed to be done real quick.

    My girlfriend and I moved California from NY 5 months ago. We've have been waiting for her divorce decree to be able to get married for 6 months.It's been almost 1.5 year since she filed divorce. She (her lawyer) was paid in the beginning (around $500). Each time she calls her lawyer to get information, updates or news, she gives excuses to explain why or how she couldn't do such and such. She doesn't pick up phones, doesn't reply her e-mails (or reply after 10 days).

    I believe that she just doesn't care about the situation anymore because she is no longer in NY and unable to knock her door and ask what's going on with her divorce case. She got paid in the beginning so she has more important things to do now and doesn't need to pay attention to it anymore right?

    So is there anybody out there who can give me an advice or suggestion that is going to make her lawyer to take immediate action on the situation??
    Or any kind of legal information (because she was causing this delay) I can use against her lawyer or tel on the phone so she will think we are serious about this and do something??
    AK lawyer's Avatar
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977

    Feb 9, 2011, 01:15 AM
    I would consider making a disciplinary complaint against the lawyer. Read the information at this link.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting divorce while waiting on I-751 approval [ 1 Answers ]

My wife (USC) and I jointly filed I-751 on time, before expiration of 2 year conditional residence that expired in March 2008. I received a letter/receipt from USCIS extending my conditional status for another 12 months while the petition is waiting for processing (decision expected in Jun...

What kind of lawyer do I contact when a request for judgment has been made [ 4 Answers ]

My husband is a co-signer on a car for a friend. The friend was in an accident and didn't have insurance on the car. Since there was so insurance on the car the insurance company is trying to re-claim the moneis from the acciedent. The law firm assisgned to this case has not been successful in...

Waiting for a divorce to go through [ 4 Answers ]

I have a friend that is currently separated from her husband and they have filed for divorce. Because when they got married her credit was perfect and his credit was poor she purchased the 2 cars, have a house, and several credit cards. Now that they are separated, he is willing to only pay $100...

Responding to lawyer request for payment [ 3 Answers ]

Originally in 2002 or 2003 I fell behind in credit card payments. I was having a bad time financially and had always had good credit until my divorce. Anyway, I tried everything to work out something with the credit card companies and even tried paying a little but it didn't help. I was even...

View more questions Search