Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nasw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2009, 04:45 PM
    Difference between big filling vs. crown buildup
    Hi,
    My new dentist told me I needed a big filling (and a small filling, a crown, an extraction and
    Bridge or implant). Almost all the work's been done, during these visits he referred to doing a "big filling" that would stave off needing a crown on that tooth for years. But when the time came he did a "crown buildup." By the way he talked about it, I thought it was the same thing; he charges the same for both. However, my insurance company paid only 50% for the crown buildup whereas they pay 80% for fillings. When I spoke to my insurance and told them no crown was placed and there were no plans for one, they said I should have the dentist change the claim and resubmit it.
    1) Is that a big deal for the dentist to do? (Would I be suggesting something "unethical"?)
    2) What if any is the difference in how a big filling (composite) vs. a crown buildup are done
    And how they function?

Many thanks for your help!
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

May 19, 2009, 05:01 PM

It can be the same thing. A core usually takes less time since it can just be a blob of filling that is to be cut down later... ask him to resubmit it, It's not unethical from my point of view
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2009, 07:50 PM

If the dentist does not plan on placing a crown then he did a 5 surface filling. When a crown is planned it is called a core build up. There are two different codes I believe. Have the dentist resubmit for the filling code. I'm sure it must have been an oversight on whoever posted the treatment. Not an unethical request at all.

There is no real difference between a large composite and a build up (core) for a crown. Both can be done in either composite or amalgam. Perhaps the filling might be a little more time consuming since it is not going to be reduced in order for a crown to fit over it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crown vs. Post crown [ 3 Answers ]

I have been having a problem with a dental office I recently began visiting. Two dentists are at the site (one is retiring) and one recommends one thing, then when I sit in the chair to get the work done the other dentist comes in and recommends something completely different. I am going to...

Filling or Crown? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi I've had a tooth nightmare since October... beginning with the removal of an old filling and ending with a root canal two months later. The tooth hurt constantly and is finally settling down. (I had the root canal in dec.) although the throbbing has finally stopped it is still sensitive...

Crown Lengething .how long before crown put on [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question regarding crown lengething. I had the procedure done when I had my wisdom teeth removed on a back molar and a temporary was placed on that tooth. Due to insurance issues I was not able to get the perminate till after the new year. How long does it take for the area to heal and...

Dentistry: root canal filling and crown? [ 1 Answers ]

I have to have a root canal filling and then a crown, my dentist said suggested a gold crown, hoever I would like to have a white tooth as it will show even though at the side. Has anyone had dentistry abroad? Can anyone recommend a dentist in a country that is cheaper than England... I have so...

What is the difference between Veneer and Porceline Crown? [ 1 Answers ]

One of my front tooth has turn blacked after a few years of root canal. I have sought help from one dentist. He suggests me to have a verneer tooth instead put on a crown. However, my dentist could not get the technician to produce verneer tooth that with the similar color to my other original...

View more questions Search