Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GZDZ Posts: 139, Reputation: 18

Oct 22, 2007, 07:22 AM
    Insulation of flat roof
    I just had the roof and plywood replaced over a 1950s addition. I exposed the rafters in the ceiling below. My question is, after I insulate with 6 1/2 kraft faced, what can I use for a vapor barrier, between insulation and sheetrock?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 22, 2007, 08:52 AM
    You can purcahse insulation that has a vapor barrier attached that is much better than kraft paper. If its already up there you can staple a sheet of 6 mil visqueen plastic to the rafters before reinstalling the drywall. You can find rolls of visqueen near the paint department in most home centers, frequently used as a drop cloth. What are the dimensions of your rafters, 2x10 ?

Oct 23, 2007, 04:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    You can purcahse insulation that has a vapor barrier attached that is much better than kraft paper. If its already up there you can staple a sheet of 6 mil visqueen plastic to the rafters before reinstalling the drywall. You can find rolls of visqueen near the paint department in most home centers, frequently used as a drop cloth. What are the dimensions of your rafters, 2x10 ?

2x10 tappered down to 2x4 on top to pitch the flat roof. What I cannot find is fiberglass w/ foil faced, insulation. 30 years ago it was every where?? Do you know if it is still available?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2007, 05:56 AM
    I have used it in the past 3 years,not in loose bats,but in sheet form,(polyisocyanurate).

With an R7 per inch(or so) this is far superior to standard loose insulation(if you can find it in factory seconds, it's a great savings too)

My entire converted barn and workshop is insulated with this too.

Another application(although you have already installed the roof,I believe) is called NAILLINE,it is a sandwiched insulation board between OSB sheets,made for exactly your purpose(exposed beams)

Good luck,Hope this helps,

Ken
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 23, 2007, 08:58 AM
    Foil faced insulation has been replaced with what looks like kraft paper. However, if you read the spec on the kraft paper insulation you will see that it now has a vapor barrier in it, not just paper any more.
    beez71 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2008, 12:17 PM
    Be careful as to not OVER INSULATE your ceiling. Make sure to leave some space between the insulation and roof deck. All roofs need ventilation. No ventilation will lead to dry rot which I see on a weekly basis.
    BrunoM Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2011, 06:20 PM
    L checked out warm flat roof type and the advise l get is that since the insulation is now on top of the roof deck, there is no need for ventilation . Any advise on this ,since l am about to start mine as soon as weather is right . Thanks Bruno

Mar 10, 2011, 10:01 AM
    Comment on BrunoM's post
    I used the 2'x16" , corrugated styrofoam, stapled to the wood above the insulation to allow some air movement between the wood and the fiberglass.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Temporary fix for flat roof [ 8 Answers ]

Here is my story.I started to repair my flat roof.well its almost flat.it slopes about 12 inches over the whole span of 14 feet. This roof is above my second garage.it is attached to the house. Well I removed all the old roll roofing,all the old plywood and I also replaced 3 joists. I laid down all...

Sun roof vs moon roof [ 8 Answers ]

What is the difference between a moon roof and a sun roof?

How can I convert this shed roof to a gable roof? [ 5 Answers ]

I want to extend this porch out another 8 feet and convert the current shed roof to a gable roof. Is there a framing genius lurking here who can tell me how to make it happen? The conceptual image gives an idea of what I'm trying to accomplish with the porch. See attachments. Michael

Smell in flat [ 1 Answers ]

I hope someone can help me. I live in a second floor flat and some funny smells have been developing since we moved in in March last year. First it started with a fishy smell when we have been in the bathroom for a while and now more recently it has developed into an occansional musky/eggy smell...

Flat Paint [ 1 Answers ]

I have some flat latex paint and would like to use it in the bathroom. Is there anything I can add to the paint ot make it #1 semi glossy and #2 Mildew resistant?

View more questions Search