Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    RamblinHobo's Avatar
    RamblinHobo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Nov 6, 2007, 11:14 AM
    Roofing in Washington State
    When re-roofing in WA state with 20 year asphalt shingles what is my roof venting requirements, where can I look that up, and what is the best way to go about installing that venting?
    KBC's Avatar
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

    Nov 8, 2007, 06:22 PM
    A 20 year shingle is the lowest warranted shingle, thinner and less able to stand up to the environment than all others, If you can get a better grade( 30, year) you will be a lot happier with this product in the long run, and the price difference is nominal.

    As to venting, ridge venting is the latest craze... an opening cut through the ridge to allow air to escape throughout the entire building, capped off with ridge.

    The packaging will show how to install it( if your home doesn't have ridge venting already, you'll need to cut the ridge, preferably before the shingles are up to that point)

    Otherwise, a power vent has ratings for how many square feet you need to ventilate, and how many units you might need, Washington State is a very moisture laden state and you might look for a moisture/heat activated power vent to accommodate your local.

    If you want to look it up, look for roof venting in a Google search.
    mechpe's Avatar
    mechpe Posts: 12, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Nov 11, 2007, 06:30 PM
    Are you east or west of the Cascades? Western Washington needs about 1 square foot per 300 square foot (50% high and 50% low) and Eastern Washington can get by with less. The inspector at your county building department can give a definitive answer. Haven't talked to the local building inspector? Most counties and municipalities require a building permit for re-roofing. Even if they don't require a permit:rolleyes: , you are still required to re-roof according to their standards. Not following local codes and standards could result in lowering the re-sale value of your home:eek: .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adultery in Washington state [ 4 Answers ]

Is there a law in Washington state against adultery?

How taxes are calculated for a person on L1 in Washington State [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to know how taxes are calculated for people on L1 in Washington state. I would like to know the break up of SSN, Medical Tax and the Federal Tax if any. Suppose for example I get 5K per month what would be my monthly tax. With best regards, Vivek Sinha

Abondonment laws of Washington state [ 15 Answers ]

I need help, trying to find laws about what is abandonment, like how long is it considered abandonment. We have our granddaughter who has lived with us since she has been born and both parents have signed over their rights to us (grandparents). Since then he doesn't call or see her for up to 5 -6...

Tree Trimming - Washington State [ 2 Answers ]

I have a neighbor that reaches over my fence to trim my tree branches that are hanging on her side of the fence. She then throws the cut branches in my yard to clean up. I know she's allowed to cut the tree limbs at the fence line or she should come over and tell me to cut them; however, she...

Hedges on property line - Washington State [ 9 Answers ]

Well... I've done something foolish and now I need to know what I can (or should) do about it. We have a nice view of Mount Ranier from the patio in front of our home. Over the last few months, the hedge that separates my house and the house next door has grown so tall that it blocked the view...

View more questions Search