Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    formeremployee's Avatar
    formeremployee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 24, 2007, 12:37 PM
    Former boss harassing me
    I was terminated on 01/29/2007 and today on 03/24/2007 I got a certified letter from my former employer demanding that I pay $464.00 for a charge on a company credit card that I did not transact. They said if I don't pay it by 04/20/07 they will file legal charges against me. This is in the state of Arizona... Is this legal and what recousre do I have with them to stop harassment, I have already filed a case against them for violating FMLA law.
    RubyPitbull's Avatar
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

    Mar 24, 2007, 12:54 PM
    I suspect that they are none too happy with your filing a case against them. Yes, what they are doing is perfectly legal. It is not considered harassment,. yet.

    The first thing you should do is send them a certified letter, return receipt requested. In the letter tell them what you have stated here, if you are 100% sure it is not your transaction. Tell them that you believe they are in error, that you had nothing to do with the transaction. Ask them to please submit proof that it was you that made this charge, and you will be happy to pay if there is no doubt that it is yours, and, that this wasn't indeed a company expense, that was required for you to perform your job properly.
    They will not proceed with any legal action if you seem willing to pay and aren't nasty in your response. Wait for the response. If they don't respond and start legal action, you have proof you requested substantiation of the charges and they did not respond. That will go a long way. Do you have access to an attorney? An attorney sending this letter to them would help immensely. It will show them that you are not fooling around, you are taking this seriously, and you have someone who will fight for you. For that amount of money, it seems ridiculous that they would try to come after you. But, not knowing the circumstances surrounding why you were fired and how angry they are at you, it is tough for me to apply reasoning to this.

    Another thought that comes to mind is, speaking with someone from the State who office you filed your original complaint with. If they can't help you, they may give you additional guidance and may include this letter you received, in with your complaint/case.
    EMERIL LAGASSE Posts: 101, Reputation: 4
    Junior Member

    Mar 24, 2007, 01:31 PM
    I wouldn't do any thing, let them try to take u to court then do something
    RubyPitbull's Avatar
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

    Mar 24, 2007, 01:37 PM
    With all due respect Emeril, you may be a great chef, but you don't do something after the fact when it comes to the law and our court system. You need to be proactive to get something squared away before it gets to court. If formeremployee neglects to act on this and it does go to court, the court system doesn't take too kindly to people who ignore a problem. He needs to demand proof, to head this off. Who knows what his former employer might cook up between now and then? Unfortunately, there are always unscrupulous people out there that will forge documentation. If they don't get found out, they win. Due diligence is an important process to the law.
    lacuran8626's Avatar
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57
    Full Member

    Apr 2, 2007, 09:27 AM
    I agree with the dog... be proactive and measured in your approach. Definitely advise whomever is handling the FMLA issue that this has come up and you do not believe it was your charge. If you are absolutely confident you never made a personal purchase on the company account, I would certainly respond as well with a letter to that effect requesting substantiation. The burden is on them to prove you used the card inappropriately. Ignoring it may make you appear guilty, as will flying off the handle defensively. Just ask for proof and advise them you have no clue what they are talking about. Cerfied/receipt requested mail is a great idea.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord harassing me to move [ 18 Answers ]

I'm a disabled person with an in-home-care provider. I have lived in my rented home (2 houses on one lot) for 7 years. Sept 2005 the propery was sold to a couple with 2 children. They moved into the rear house and after a month of living there, told me they were the new landlords and that I need...

Harassing Neighbor [ 12 Answers ]

We moved into our house 7 months ago and our neighbor has called several times to complain about various things. The latest phone call was in regards to my husband smoking a brisket for MY birthday party! She claims that the smoke hovers in her back yard and she and her husband are not able to...

Harassing or annoying calls [ 4 Answers ]

Is there any law against companies, private or public, continuing to make annoying phone calls to your private residence even after you have left messages on their answering machine to stop? Also is there any law dealing with how late in the evening they can call? I have the same company calling...

Trying to please the boss [ 2 Answers ]

Help please - I love to cook- all sorts of foods and my boss knows this and know he has asked me to make something from his past and I can't find a rec. for it anywhere - The name of it is Sarmoli Momaliga (its a romaninan dish ) Im sure I spelled it totally wrong but you get the idea ....

Neighbor boy harassing my daughter [ 7 Answers ]

My neighbor is 15 years old, and his mouth is atrocious. He calls my 12 year old daughter the filthiest names, which embarrass her, since he does this when she is with her girlfriends. His parents make him apologize, but then it happens again and again. This has been going on for 4 years. Since...

View more questions Search