Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rajiv_desi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2006, 12:56 AM
    Resident or non-resident alien child?
    Hi all,
    I have a peculiar problem that is unanswered after 3 days of searching online. I am a resident alien in the US, and my wife and son joined me on a dependent H-4 visa on November 19,2005. My son was born earlier on in the year outside the country. So, my question is, can my baby qualify as a dependent. On the forms help, it asks if the qualifying child was a citizen,national or resident - if I can answer yes to the resident part of it, I can claim child tax credit. But he obviously does not meet the 183 day substantial presence test. He does meet the 31day calendar year rule. Can someone please help ?
    Thanks.
    Rajiv
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 2, 2006, 09:40 AM
    Rajiv:

You may claim your wife's exemption by filing jointly with her on the tax return. This will also allow you to double the standard deduction from $5,000 to $10,000.

However, you cannot claim your child's dependency exemption. He does not meet the residency test, which requires he live with for more than half of the year in the United States!

Sorry!

Mar 2, 2006, 09:54 AM
    Thanks AtlantaTaxExpert. Even if my son was not living with me, my wages were going towards his expenses. Is there any way that could be accounted for anything ? Secondly, the residency test on turbo tax/1040 help says... at least 31 consecutive days this year AND 183 days in the past 3 years(with a weightage of 1/3*number of days last year and 1/6th number of days 2 years ago). But this would obviously never work for a baby less than a year old and born in the second half of the year. Does it mean there are no credits for a child born in the second half of the year ?
    Thanks a lot for your responses - I have been able to use your advice on this forum a lot!
    Rajiv
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 2, 2006, 10:01 AM
    When was your child born?

Mar 2, 2006, 10:06 AM
    He was born Jan 26,05. Him and his mother's medical reasons and visa problems were the reason they were able not able to join me until November.
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 2, 2006, 08:43 PM
    Sorry, you cannot claim him.

I know it is not fair, but no one ever said the U.S. income tax is fair.

You will be able to claim him in 2006.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

International student becoming resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to USA as international student (Ph.D) in 2001 August. Which year I can become a resident alien for tax purpose as a student. How is the calculation made? Thanks a lot.

Resident alien or dual status alien [ 3 Answers ]

This topic has been heavily discussed, but the concept is still not clear. I have been on H1 since January 15, 2005 (was on F1/OPT before that). I received a pay-check (approx. $1500) in those 14 days on 2005 that I was on F1 status. Since "I pass the substantial presence test for 2005, I am...

Am I dual resident alien? [ 1 Answers ]

This is my history in US: 1998 as J1 student 118 days 1999 as J1 Summer Travel or Work 87 days 2000 as J1 Summer Travel or Work 68 days 2003 as B1 visitor 8 days 2003 as F1 student 152 days 2004 as F1 student 349 days 2005 as F1 student 271 days 2005 as H1B Employee 92 days

Resident alien or not if in US in 2005 for less than 183 days on H1 [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have come to US on H1B in Oct,2005 and my spouse joined me in Dec,2005 on H4 ( spouse is not working). So, am I a resident alien for filing taxes for the year 2005 ? I want to know what should my spouse state as reason on form W7 for applying for ITIN no - d/e/g D - Dependent of...

Resident alien with no FICA withheld during CPT [ 3 Answers ]

Hi expert, I am preparing my 2005 tax return but could not figure out how to do with FICA.:confused: I did an internship last summer using CPT because I am a full-time international student and didn't inform my employer that time that I will claim myself as a resident alien because I was not...

View more questions Search