Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Morb's Avatar
    Morb Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Dec 8, 2007, 12:32 PM
    Single family to 2 family electrical service
    Hi all, first time posting to this site. I am changing an existing 200 amp service to a 2 meter service. Presently, the home added an apartment above the garage with its own 100 amp panel. The panel is served by a 100 amp breaker in the main panel. The homeowner wants to separately meter the new apartment. My question is, can I change the single meter to a 2 meter enclosure, and install a 100 amp breaker from the second meter in its own enclosure next to the existing panel, or should I get a meter enclosure with a breaker built in and bring the feeder to the meter enclosure? Thanks in advance for your advice.
    tkrussell's Avatar
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

    Dec 8, 2007, 01:49 PM
    I think adding a separate meter with disconnect, leaving the existing alone, is easier, and more cost effective. You still need to add the riser up to the aerial cable from the utility, assuming this is all overhead.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Going from 150 amp to 200 amp electrical service? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi out there, My names Bill and I'd like to know what exactly is involved in changing from a 150 amp To a 200 amp electrical service? At the moment I have a 150 amp service and would like to upgrade. Does the meter socket box and feed wiring have to be changed? ...

How to Convert a single family house to a legal 4 family house [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all I am looking to convert my singly family home to a legal 4 family house so as to rent out all 4 units and get some income. How to do I go about getting all the information and permission for the same? Thanks

Eviction of a family member from a single family home [ 2 Answers ]

My brother who is about 37 years old lives with my father, sister and myself; my brother is an alcoholic and a drug addict and is verbally abusive to my father who is 71 years old and is also disabled. My father wants him to move out of the house; is there a specific amount of time, by law, that...

Blended family means family to me, should it not to my husband as well? [ 6 Answers ]

HI, I just really need to know if I am way off base here. Last night my husband told me that"you need to understand how it is going to be between my daughter and myself." " when it comes to special events, even if they conflict with your boys(his stepsons) and in the future if we have children of...

Single electrical outlet not working [ 4 Answers ]

I have one electrical outlet in my house (2 yrs old) that recently stopped working. Its not a gfi and the other outlet in the same room isn't either. (both of these outlets are in the bathroom) but only one doesn't work... I plugged an appliance into it and no juice. I went and bought another...

View more questions Search