Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BADBRAD83 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2007, 08:50 AM
    220 for welder 4 wire to 3 wire
    My garage is wired with a 220 outlet but the plug is for a dryer so I got the outlet I needed the new outlet has 3 conections the old one has 4 I know the red and black are hot but not sure what to do with the white and ground should they be connected to gether or do I not use the white well thanks for the help

Thanks brad"
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

May 12, 2007, 08:51 PM
    White is the neutral. If your welder is 220 volt only you do not need a neutral but you MUST have a ground.

A electric dryer has a 115 volt motor and that is the reason a dryer has to have two hot legs and one neutral. There was a code change a while back and now range circuits/dryer and others have to have 4 wire hookups.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Older 220 volt wire [ 13 Answers ]

I have an older 220v wire with only 3 wires... 2 hot and 1 ground/neutral (bare). I need to connect (splice) it to a newer 220v wire with 4 wires... 2 hot, 1 neutral (white), and a ground (bare). And older I mean less than 15 years old.

Wwiring from a 220 to a 110 plug (and an extra wire) [ 6 Answers ]

I just bought a dryer, thinking that I had a dryer outlet, only to realize that I don't. I bought a 3 prong plug, for a normal wall socket (and I know that if it works at all, it will not be that efficent) and when I went to strip the wires on the plug, I found out that there where 4 wires in the...

Neutral wire is hot(has voltage potential like the black wire) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, The problem started at midnight last week. One of my line in the basement is starting to have issue whenever I connect a water pump or appliances to the outlets. Before I plug the appliance in, the neutral is neutral(zero voltage), but when I plug the appliance in, the neutral is now...

3-wire home, 3-wire fan, 2-wire remote [ 9 Answers ]

Greetings, My home is 3-wire. I bought a Hunter ceiling fan (model 23811). The fan came with a remote assy. That I do NOT want to use... The fan has standard 3-wire connections (black, white, blk&white strip, ground). The remote receiver home-side wiring looks to be for 2-wire (blk and white)....

4 wire home service entrance wire size [ 1 Answers ]

Mobile home requires 4 wire electrical service entrance wire. Distance is 160 foot from meter to breaker panel. 220V service. What size wire do I use? Can I use diff. size for neutral and ground?

View more questions Search