Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chrwsr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2007, 03:36 PM
    Ceiling Fan with a Dual Switch
    I am trying to put in a ceiling fan that was pre-wired to a dual light switch. When I took down the original light I found that I had lots of wires in the box. I had two white wires together, and two black wires, I also have a single white wire, a single red wire, single black wire, and a grounding green wire. The previous light was attached to the two white wires and the single red wire. The fan has a white, a blue, a black and a green wire. I don't know how to attach the white, blue, and black wires so that my dual switch will work.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

May 11, 2007, 03:16 PM
    There should have been a wiring diagram with the ceiling fan. Follow it or find a diagram on the net to use. Most of the colors used are universal so most fixtures will be the same.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 11, 2007, 07:07 PM
    When you say single wires, do you mean ones that are unconnected but bundled together in cables or conduit? If so, I would leave them unconnected. They may have once run to a no longer existing fixture, perhaps spackled over, a questionable practice.

Identify which red and black wires are hot went the switches are on. I like my voltage detector* for those jobs. Connect white to white, hot black to fan black, hot red to fan blue, and all the bare and green together. Unless you have something else that should be on with the fan, cap the other wires and leave them unconnected.

*To do simple checks like this you do need some tools. A test light, a meter, or a voltage detector might be the best place to start with. I came across the niftiest gadget for trouble shooting, a voltage detector. They work through the insulation of wires. There are several brands. I have a GB Instruments GVD-505A, less than $15 at Home Depot. Touch it to a hot wire, and the end glows red. Find the doodad that lights it on one side, and not the other, and you have the culprit. You do not have to open up housings and expose electrical contacts. You are looking at where your hand is, not where the meter is. Most people are capable of doing repairs and will get it going and not get hurt if they use a little sense. The voltage detector makes it even easier.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

May 15, 2007, 06:01 PM
    How many wires does your new wall switch have?

AND

How many wires are in the wall where the switch will connect?

This may be VERY easy or a little tricky.

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing fan and light switch for ceiling fan [ 9 Answers ]

I am trying to install a switch that controls both the ceiling fan with 3 speeds and a dimmer switch all in one unit for a hunter ceiling fan. At the wall switch there is a black wire which is always hot, a red and a ground. At the ceiling, where I removed a light fixture, there is a black, red,...

Ceiling fan replacement fan switch [ 1 Answers ]

I was trying to replace a ceiling fan 3 speed switch. I forgot to mark the wires. I have a red wire coming out of forward and reverse. I have a black wire coming out of the ceiling and I have a blue and black wire coming from the motor of the ceiling fan. The switch is marked L, 1, 2, 3-Do you...

Ceiling Fan switch [ 1 Answers ]

The switch chain broke off and I replaced the brokenswitch with a different switch that I saved from an old fan that was thrown away. The broken (old) switch had four wires (L - black... 1 - orange... 2 - purple... 3 - yellow). The new/ replacement has only 3 wires. I foolishly failed to mark the...

Dual Dimmer Switch for light and fan [ 2 Answers ]

I am having trouble also installing a dual dimmer switch for my light and fan. I can only get it to work both at the same time. I have a three wire (plus ground) black, white and red going from the switch box to the fan/light. And I have three wires coming from the fan/light unit and three wires...

Trouble with ceiling fan on a dual fan/light dimmer switch [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new Harbor Breeze ceiling fan and dual fan/light dimmer, also from Harbor Breeze. Unfortunately, now I'm scratching my head... Do I have a bad dimmer switch? Here's the problem: 1. The light will turn on only when the fan speed on the wall switch is set to high. 2. When...

View more questions Search