Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EOsborne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2014, 12:01 PM
    How to replace the fan/light switch from Hunter 27186 to 27182
    I have two wires on Hunter fan/light switch 27186 that are both black and I bought Hunter 27182 switch to replace it and it has red, blue and black wires coming from it. How am I supposed to install 27182?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 3, 2014, 07:08 PM
    The 27186 is a two wire switch. It controls the fan on/off and speed through the wiring. It controls the light on/off and brightness with radio signals to the receiver in the fan canopy.

The 27182 is simply a fan switch and a light switch/dimmer combined and requires three wires to the fan/light, a neutral, a fan hot and a light hot. Unless you have a 3-wire cable between the switch location and the fan/light you can't use the 27182.

Ebay shows the 27186 as weighting 2 lbs, therefore it must include the switch and the receiver. The switch alone would not weigh 2 lbs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing Hunter 27182 Ceiling Fan and Light Control [ 2 Answers ]

I have an existing ceiling fan and light. The light is controlled by a wall switch and the fan is controlled by the pull chains. There are 3 wires coming into the switch box. Two have black and white wires, the other has a black, white and red wire. The three white wires are connected together,...

Hunter fan and light switch model 27182 [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, here is my problem... I'm replacing an old single light/fan switch from with a new Hunter model 27182 combo switch. Here is what I have... from the ceiling my wiring is as follows and how it is connected to my new fan. White/white, black/black, red/blue, and two green and 1 bare wire wired...

Hunter ceiling fan and light control model 27186 [ 0 Answers ]

I have the hunter ceiling fan and light control model 27186. The button for the light still flashes green when I press it, but it won't turn the light off. The fan buttons work fine. Troubleshooting on the site recommends replacing the battery. Which one, the one in the wall controller (a23) or...

Hunter Fan Model 23282 - Wire Hunter Control Model 27182 [ 3 Answers ]

I have a new house that came pre wired for a light/fan. I connected my Hunter Fan (Model 23282) to the ceiling wiring as such FAN/Ceiling Wiring White/White Black/Black Black-White/Red Green/Green I believe I wired the celing correctly.

Hunter wall mount fan & light control (model 27186) [ 2 Answers ]

The Hunter wall mount control has two black wires and one green wire. How do I know which black wire goes to the black wire from the wall and which goes to the white wire from the wall? Or doesn't it matter which wire is connected to which

View more questions Search