Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hpotterva Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2007, 03:40 PM
    Hampton bay ceiling fan, remote, tripped circuit
    I apologize is this has already been discussed, but I couldn't find a similar situation:

I'm installing a hampton bay fan with light and remote into a new home rough-in connected to two switches, one for the fan, the other for the light.

Coming out of the ceiling box are white, black, red, and bare wires. Coming out of the fan are four wires, three of which run into the remote receiver box, the other ground getting directly connected to the house ground from the ceiling. Coming OUT of the remote receiver box are just two wires, white and black, which the instructions say to connect to the house's white and black wires respectively.

Done. When I went to turn the circuit back on, it immediately tripped and kept tripping when I tried to switch it back. (I subsequently disconnected the fan wires and the circuit was then fine). I examined the wires coming out of the switches and it appears that there is no white wire attached to either of them. One of them has black and red wires attached, the other had black and black.

Does anyone have any idea as to what might be wrong?

Thanks...
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2007, 09:50 PM
    Ok, you cannot use both switches for the light and fan AND the remote. You will have to pick one way to control the fan, not both. Assuming you want to use the remote:

Connect the fan's three wires to the three wires of the same color on that once side of the receiver.

On the other side of the receiver, connect black to the house black and white to the house white. Cap off the red.

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More
    hpotterva Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2007, 03:56 PM
    Hi, thanks for your response to my question... you suggested
    I "Connect the fan's three wires to the three wires of the same color on that once side of the receiver. On the other side of the receiver, connect black to the house black and white to the house white. Cap off the red."

I understand that... and that's what I did initially (plus connecting the ground wire directly to the house wiring).

I figured I'd only be able to use on switch and the light would be controlled by the remote.

When I connected the receiver black to house black and the receiver white to house white, (the red capped off) the circuit tripped.

I was wondering that since there isn't any white connected to the actual switch, could that be the problem? (the two switches have 1) black and black 2) red and black).

Doesn't neutral have to be connected somewhere on the other end for it to carry the return current? That was the only thing that made sense to me cause if neutral isn't present in the circuit, the current is going back to ground, immediately causing the circuit to trip.

Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair
    Ok, you cannot use both switches for the light and fan AND the remote. You will have to pick one way to control the fan, not both. Assuming you want to use the remote:

Connect the fan's three wires to the three wires of the same color on that once side of the receiver.

On the other side of the receiver, connect black to the house black and white to the house white. Cap off the red.

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2007, 01:39 PM
    You don't need neutral at the switches, you switc the hot side of the circuit.

Try connecting the fan without the receiver. Black - black, blue - red, white - white. If it works, you have a bad receiver. If it still trips or doesn't work, something is wrong with your wiring.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton bay ceiling fan remote [ 26 Answers ]

We have missplaced our remote for ceiling fan. Fan will not work. Have another remote for other fan but will not work on this fan. Can I secure a remote that will work fan? Please help Hot in bed

Hampton Bay ceiling fan remote [ 1 Answers ]

The ceiling fan remote has lost part of its function. The button which turns the light off/on and dims the lights will only dim the lights. It will not turn the lights off and on. All other functions work such as fan speed, fan off/on and reverse. Any thoughts

Hampton bay remote ceiling fan [ 1 Answers ]

The light on my ceiling fan does not work. I changed the bulb. I also changed the batteries on the remote control to no avail.

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan Remote [ 3 Answers ]

I purchased 4 Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan with Remotes when I had my home rewired last winter. All of the fans work well and the remotes are excellent. They allow for remote control of the fan and light as well as containing a thermostat to control the fan. I have two of the fans installed...

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan W/remote [ 1 Answers ]

How do I switch wind direction?

View more questions Search