Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bloesch14 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2007, 04:41 PM
    What amps to put on it
    I finishing my attic into 2 rooms one a bedroom with closet and other half play area and closet. I was told to run 12 gauge for all outlets and 14 for all recessed light and switches. Now my issue is one room will have 9 outlets and 7 lights inc. the closet. The other has 6 outlets and 5 lights with closet. Now my thing is should I run one 12 for both rooms outlets and hooked up to a 20 amp or 2 separate on a 15 amp. And same with the lights 2 14 or one and on what amps 15 or 20 amp or can I run one for both and bridge them off to everything. Thanks
    pelle Posts: 96, Reputation: 0

Mar 25, 2007, 06:15 PM
    12 ga wire (yellow) requires a 20 amp breaker, and 14 gauge (white) wire requires a 15 amp breaker. Using a high amp breaker on the lower wire could cause the wire to burn up before the breaker blows. Also not wiring this way will not pass inspection.
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 25, 2007, 10:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bloesch14
    I finishing my attic into 2 rooms one a bedroom with closet and other half play area and closet. I was told to run 12 gauge for all outlets and 14 for all recessed light and switches. Now my issue is one room will have 9 outlets and 7 lights inc. the closet. The other has 6 outlets and 5 lights with closet. Now my thing is should I run one 12 for both rooms outlets and hooked up to a 20 amp or 2 separate on a 15 amp. And same with the lights 2 14 or one and on what amps 15 or 20 amp or can I run one for both and bridge them off to everything. thanks
    Both bedrooms require AFCI protected circuits for all outlets in the bedrooms. That includes smoke detectors in the bedrooms and at the top of the stairwell that requires 14-3 w/gnd on the AFCI branch circuit interconnections. You are not required to use 12-2 nmb w/gnd wiring. If you choose to do so then make sure wiring is not mixed in the branch circuits. (i.e. Smoke detectors, lighting/switching on 14-2 and 14-3 on one AFCI, while wall receptacles on 12-2 for the other AFCI circuit. (8 in bedrm 1, 5 in bedrm 2 = 13 receptacles on one 20 amp 12-2 BC) Also make sure luminaires do not exceed 100 va per housing for 15 amp circuit. I recommend using 2 15 amp circuits as mentioned.
    Check with your local AHJ to make sure of the wiring for AFCI protection. From your description, both bedrooms can easily be supported by two AFCI branch circuits. Wiring the smoke detectors, and lighting, switch, and receptacle outlets together per 15 amp branch circuit to each room is the most economic and load balanced method that is compliant to NEC safety rules. Nm
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 25, 2007, 10:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bloesch14
    I finishing my attic into 2 rooms one a bedroom with closet and other half play area and closet. I was told to run 12 gauge for all outlets and 14 for all recessed light and switches. Now my issue is one room will have 9 outlets and 7 lights inc. the closet. The other has 6 outlets and 5 lights with closet. Now my thing is should I run one 12 for both rooms outlets and hooked up to a 20 amp or 2 separate on a 15 amp. And same with the lights 2 14 or one and on what amps 15 or 20 amp or can I run one for both and bridge them off to everything. thanks
    Note that the other open room play area is qualified as a bedroom if it has a closet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's the meaning of the word ------14 AMPS ? [ 3 Answers ]

What's the meaning of the word ------14 AMPS ? This word relating to the electric nail gun /staple/tacker, thank you very much.

I want subs/amps? I need help! =] [ 2 Answers ]

OK so heres the deal. I have a 2000 toyota corolla. but one problem... im electronically retarted. sooo if i want more bass... do i put in some subs or amps?? :confused: problly is a bad question but im not sure. like what do i need for this?! HELPPP ME!

How do I get 100 AMPs to my Garage [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to wire a 100 amp service to my garage. I have a 200amp main entrance box in my house and would like to get power to a panel box in my garage. The panel box I have to put in the garage has a 100 amp main disconect with 12 cicuit spaces. Questions: Can I simply put a 100 amp...

HELP!car amps and speakers [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought an old motorhome and am planning on installing 4 Pioneer 330 watt 6x9s and am unsure what kind of amp I need. I have a very cheap deck, but figure that won't matter if I get the right amp that can power all four speakers. Please if you have any help for melet me know. Thanks,...

View more questions Search