Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    buddy1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2007, 07:13 AM
    Gauge of wire?
    Thank you for responding.

I would like to know what size of wire I need to run a circuit 125 amp, 240V to a sub panel 244 feet away?

Or, what size of wire I need to run a circuit 60 amp, 240V to a sub panel 244 feew away?

Thank you in advance
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2007, 07:48 AM
    Recommended voltage drop for a feeder is 3% of 240 volts, or 7.2 volts dropped.

Assuming full load of 80% of a 125 amp feeder @ 244 feet, a 100 amp load would be:

#1 copper -7.5 volts dropped
    #2/0 Aluminum - 7.7 volts dropped

Unlikely the feeder will need to deliver 100 amps very often, if at all.

Assuming full load of 80% of a 60 amp feeder @ 244 feet a 48 amp load would be:
    #4 copper- 7.2 Vd
    #2 Aluminum - 7.4 Vd

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does gauge of wire attached to thermostat matter? [ 3 Answers ]

I have just moved into my home and I replaced the two thermostats. The one in the basement had smaller wires than the one in the living room and was easy to install. However the thermostat in the living room has thicker wires and when I installed it, it actually melted a part of the thermostat....

Mixing wiring and outlet wire gauge . [ 5 Answers ]

If I have a 15 amp circuit, and 14 gauge wire, why can't I install a 20-amp outlet? If a 20-amp device is plugged into the outlet, won't the circuit trip, preventing overload? Also, 20-amp outlets and 15-amp outlets appear to have the same connection for devices (two prongs and a ground hole),...

Proper gauge wire to run to hot tub? [ 5 Answers ]

I am trying to run wiring from my main service panel to a hot tub on our back porch. My father was an electrician, so I have a fairly good base of knowledge, but I wish he was alive to help me out. To save on the electrician install, I was going to install the 240 breaker in the box and then run...

Wire gauge drop for lights? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm installing two sconces over a sink, each will have a 60 watt maximum bulb. The switch will share a box with the GFCI that is on a dedicated 12 gauge 20 amp circuit. Can I use 14 gauge wire from the load side of the GFCI to power the switch and then run 14 gauge to the sconces or must all...

3-wire home, 3-wire fan, 2-wire remote [ 9 Answers ]

Greetings, My home is 3-wire. I bought a Hunter ceiling fan (model 23811). The fan came with a remote assy. That I do NOT want to use... The fan has standard 3-wire connections (black, white, blk&white strip, ground). The remote receiver home-side wiring looks to be for 2-wire (blk and white)....

View more questions Search