Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    white rabbit Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2007, 10:07 AM
    Washing machine backed up into powder room toilet on main floor
    I saw something similar to this problem, so I hope I am not duplicating.

I was washing clothes and noticed when it was draining that I heard gurgling in my kitchen sink. The sounds were coming from the kitchen sink, but no water back up. I walked to where the washer is located and looked across the hallway to the powder room and the toilet was full of water from the washer. It was only washer water because it was grey black, and I was washing black items. It continued to rise until it was running over. :eek: The washer was going into the spin cycle. I stopped the washer. I live in a two story house but this was on the main level and there is only one toilet on that level. The twist is I went upstairs and the toilets looked OK so I flushed the one in my bedroom bath.:o The downstairs toilet started to run over again. It kept coming so I ran and cut the main water valve for the house off. Now the water has left the toilet. I am a single female who has a father who was a builder and always repaired stuff for me, but he is in his 70's and recovering from a fall, so I am on my own. Where does it sound like the problem is? This particular toilet has to be plunged ever so often. But once last year I had gurgling in the master shower with the toilet flushing, so I liquid plumbered the sinks and shower drain and it went away. Is this any way connected? The house is only 7 years old.

Thanks in advance!
    Sybil
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 3, 2007, 11:37 AM
    Hi Sybil,

You have a partial blockage in the toilet drain line. Turn the water back on. The problem's in the drainage and not in the water supply. The line needs to be snaked out. The blockage appears to be downstream from the powder room toilet so I would snake from the powder room lavatory roof vent. Time to call in outside help. Good luck, Tom
    white rabbit Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2007, 11:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by white rabbit
    I saw something similar to this problem, so I hope I am not duplicating.

I was washing clothes and noticed when it was draining that I heard gurgling in my kitchen sink. The sounds were coming from the kitchen sink, but no water back up. I walked to where the washer is located and looked across the hallway to the powder room and the toilet was full of water from the washer. It was only washer water because it was grey black, and I was washing black items. It continued to rise until it was running over. :eek: The washer was going into the spin cycle. I stopped the washer. I live in a two story house but this was on the main level and there is only one toilet on that level. The twist is I went upstairs and the toilets looked ok so I flushed the one in my bedroom bath.:o The downstairs toilet started to run over again. It kept coming so I ran and cut the main water valve for the house off. Now the water has left the toilet. I am a single female who has a father who was a builder and always repaired stuff for me, but he is in his 70's and recovering from a fall, so I am on my own. Where does it sound like the problem is? This particular toilet has to be plunged ever so often. But once last year I had gurgling in the master shower with the toilet flushing, so I liquid plumbered the sinks and shower drain and it went away. Is this any way connected? The house is only 7 years old.

Thanks in advance!
    Sybil
    Thanks, I am just about to call one now!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet bubbles when washing machine empties [ 13 Answers ]

When my washing machine empties into the washtub, the nearby toilet has recently (about the past four - five months) started to have big air bubbles come out of the toilet bowl, making a very loud bwoop bwoop bwoop sound. The bubbles are so large that they actually cause water to splash on the...

Floor Drain Backed up in Laundry room [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I've lived in my house for 5 years. It was built in 1957. It is a great, sturdy house. The biggest headache is that, occasionally, since the beginning - our laundry room floor drain backs up. I'd like to understand what is happening as best I can. I am not a plummer, but I am willing to...

Toilet bubbling after washing machine drains [ 1 Answers ]

My basement toilet bubbles after the washing machine in the basement drains. Now, the toilet flushes but doesn't drain at it's normal rate, the water level rises almost to the very edge of the toilet bowl, then slowly returns almost to the normal level. I've tried almost everything from liquid...

Washing machine backed up? [ 10 Answers ]

We moved into a new house (the house is about 6 yrs old) this weekend. We ran the washing machine for the first time last night. We never had problems with our washer at our old house, and everything looked fine last night after we washed a load. However, this morning, the laundry room had water on...

Put in new floor, what to do with main toilet pipe? [ 3 Answers ]

We just installed a new floor in my mother's mobile home. The main pipe the toilet connects to isn't sitting on the floor. The flange on it isn't mounted to anything. The floor was installed with about a 2 inch space between it and all around the flange. The pipe itself is attached to a floor beam...

View more questions Search