Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    billa1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2012, 08:10 PM
    Electrical questions
    Switch position reverse.
    I have 120v coming from the breaker to the switch box. The box has the in and out white wire tied together and the in and out ground wire tied together. The black wire in and out goes through a single switch. It works fine, but switch positions are reversed On is off and off is on. Have tried 2 new switches and have reversed the black wires but get the same result. What am I doing wrong?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2012, 02:38 AM
    What type of switch do you have?

Explain this statement:

The box has the in and out white wire tied together and the in and out ground wire tied together.
    jerro Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Jun 20, 2012, 03:32 PM
    If you just have a single pole switch, it should say on and off on the switch. When you flip the switch you can see what it says on it. If you see the word no on the switch then you have it upside down, just flip it over the other way.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2012, 04:37 PM
    And if it doesn't have On and Off, you have the wrong switch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical questions [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently replaced a lightpost in my yard which had an outlet in the center of the post. The outlet only worked if the light was on. The light was controlled by a hard wired timer which had a black, white, red and green wire. I assume the red and black juiced the outlet and the light. The...

Electrical questions? [ 2 Answers ]

Installing dimmer switch there is hole in wall but no box, their was a switch their attached to dry wall This is a modular home. Should I add a cut in box then put switch ? And there is three wires no 2 just tie all whites together and all blacks and grounds right?

Ask electrical questions? [ 1 Answers ]

What size earth cable comes into the house?

Electrical questions [ 0 Answers ]

Installed a solar panel last january 3 units in basement that convert the dc current to ac Ever since i have been experiencing power surges Some appliances have burned out Tv's will come on in the middle of the night Baltimore put a monitor in for a week and found no problems The solar...

Various Electrical Questions [ 8 Answers ]

GFCI circuitry. Technical purpose and function. Can someone please explain? Also, what is the proper way for an inspector to test a GFCI receptacle?

View more questions Search