Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bboy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 07:42 PM
    How to replace a switched outlet with recessed lights
    I am remodeling my basement. When I pulled out my drop ceiling I found that my overhead fluorescent lights were plugged into an outlet controlled by a light switch. I want to replace the fluorescent lights with 4 recessed lights. What is the proper way to wire this setup?

Thanks for the help!

Kevin
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Feb 26, 2007, 08:17 PM
    As long as your are removing that drop ceiling, and there is at least a 6 inch joist depth for adding recessed remod cans with feedthru wiring features, you are good to go by rerouting that one branch circuit switch leg from the existing outlet to the new cans. Wire from can to can in parallel.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing a switched outlet [ 2 Answers ]

So in our downstairs office there are four outlets, 3 of which are switched by the door. I'm thinking of moving things around but would have to plug the computer into one of the switched outlets. I really do not need any of the outlets to be switched so here is my question. Can I simply pull the...

Recessed lights [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently extended wiring from an outlet to 6 recessed ceiling lights in the kitchen. The lights are 50W halogen. The lights are controlled by a dimmer switch. I have double-checked to make sure the insulation is not within 3" of any of the lights. The lights/dimmer worked fine for about...

Recessed Range Outlet... [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Group, & TK!:D I was wondering if I can install a Range outlet by just nailing the outlet between 2 nailers and if I truly need a box, and if I do, what size box should I use, because the standard junction, ceiling, and outlet boxes don't seem to fit on the outlet itself. Any help really...

Recessed lights [ 3 Answers ]

I am putting can lights in the basement. I can't decied whether or not to put drywall on the ceiling or this new drop ceiling its made of pvc it attaches right to the floor joists and the tiles clip in. you lose 1 inch. The confusing part is how do I put the can in to make up that inch or will the...

Recessed lights [ 7 Answers ]

Good morning everyone. Started project installing 4 recessed lights in family room. I am running a dedicated circuit just for the lights, composed of 12/2 with ground 20amp breaker And 1 switch My question is the switch is a single pole rated at 15 amp, is this switch safe and OK to use,...

View more questions Search