Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lteuscher Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2007, 10:11 PM
    Trying to change a single pole light switch to a single pole swith with a light below
    I have a kitchen light and a basement light that are together in one electrical box, but are on single switches. I purchased a "single pole switch and pilot light" combination so I could see easily if the basement light is on. In the box there is a black, red and white wire. For the single pole switch the black and red were being used.

I installed the new switch - first with just the black and red, but the light did not come on. Then I added the white wire (which was not being used by either switch previously) and now the light won't go off. It is supposed to go on when you turn the lights on and go off when they are off.

Any advice?

Thanks
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2007, 03:03 AM
    I would like to know the make and model of the pilot light /switch, as each brand makes their's different, and need to be wired different. Did yours come with a wiring diagram?

Jan 30, 2007, 09:29 AM
    I'll have to check when I get home - it looked like this:
    15A 120/125V White Single Pole Switch 692WGCC6 by Pass and Seymour Info and Reviews at DoItYourself.com, but it could be a different brand.

It came with what I think is a simple wiring diagram - A1, B1, that type of thing. I also asked at the store, but their advice was incorrect. I'll check these things and write back when I get home.
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2007, 02:28 PM
    OK well first P&S choses not to have the wiring diagram for that switch available.

Second, I re-read your post, and you say in one box with two single pole switches, there is only 3 wires. So one is the hot feed, probably the white, and the black is for one light and the red is for the other light.

I do not think this type of pilot light will work, if there is a silver screw on one side. If so, it needs a neutral, which is not in the switch box.

Try looking for a switch that looks like a standard toggle switch, but has an illuminated handle, to indicate that when switch is on the light it control is on.

Jan 30, 2007, 02:51 PM
    I think you are correct that the pilot won't work. Just to clarify. There is an electrical box that holds two single switches. One switch has 2 wires attached to it. The other also has two wires attached to it. And then there is a single white wire with electrical tape over the end. I removed 1 switch and replaced with the switch and pilot light. I put the black to the brass screw and the red to the black screw and prepped the white wire and attached it to the screw on the left hand side below the brass screw. This resulted in the light remaining on regardless of whether the switch was on or off.

So -- given this scenario, my only options are to get an illuminated handle switch? How do you get a neutral wire where there isn't one?

Thanks for the help. I think this site is amazing as far as home repairs go.
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2007, 03:01 PM
    Now this is different, maybe you do have a neutral in the box. First you only mention three wires, now there are five.

You need to know which wire is the hot feed to the switch for the basement.

This should connect to a single brass screw, probably labeled Line. Do not connect the hot to a side that has two brass screws jumped. Those two are probably the LOAD side of the switch, and there is a jumper from the switch to the pilot light. This is where wire that goes to the basement light connects to. The white stays on the silver screw.

If this makes sense give it a try.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring single pole thermostat in double pole fixture [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to install a line voltage programmable thermostat into a manual thermostat fixture. The programmable thermostat is Honeywell RLV430. Instruction manual here: http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/b7867367-6c05-4c82-a97c-648044b91564.pdf The...

How come single men fall for emtional games from single women but not married ones? [ 75 Answers ]

Okay this was brought up in another post by Wildcat. I didn’t want to take away from the original poster but this has been on my mind all day and I just want to get some other feedback on it. The OP was a mistress and as WC points out we’ve been seeing a lot of that here lately. Here’s what WC...

Single Alabaster Light Kit With Decorative Leaf [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am looking for a Single Alabaster Light Kit With Decorative Leaf for a Hampton Bay ceiling fan Model Antiqua. Can you please tell me shere I can find this item? Thanks, TOm MIller:)

Ceiling Fan single switch/Light two 3-way switches [ 1 Answers ]

How do I wire... Ceiling Fan with Light switched separately. Light to be controlled by two 3-way switches and fan controlled by a separate single switch. :confused:

Casablanca Fan with Single pole, triple throw, with off position [ 3 Answers ]

Witch Color goes into which electrical connection: We have black, grey, pink and yellow colors and stations L-1-2-3 Thanks

View more questions Search