Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jinvest Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2011, 05:25 PM
    12 gauge extension cord 75 ft?
    I am currently setting up my breaker box to be powered up in the event of a power loss to my home. I live "out in the sticks" and have been caught once with no power and watched as my basement was beginning to fill with water due to a intense rain storm that passed through the area. I found someone with a generator just in time before any major water damage happened but, it was a lesson that won't be forgotten. Since then I have acquired a 4000 watt generator which pushes 33.3 amps. I have run a 20 amp receptacle directly off my breaker box using 10 gauge wire. This is attached to a 30 amp breaker. I understand that the plug's rating itself is less than the breaker maximum but acquiring a 30 amp plug wasn't possible unless I went to a twist and lock set up. My generator will not accept this type of male plug. The run from my generator to my breaker plug is approximately 67'. Is it a terribly bad idea to buy a 75' 12 gauge extension chord and expect it to run the bare minimum's in the event of another power loss? I don't want to damage my possessions because of a lack of required power for optimum performance. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2011, 05:54 AM
    #12 cord is good for 25 amps, with only two current carrying conductors, which is what you have.

The other issue is the distance. 25 Amps at 120 volts at 75 feet will produce voltage drop, and that may damage an appliance.

We need to know more about the load amps and voltage being used.

You will be better off using #10 wire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is a conductor extension cord? [ 1 Answers ]

What is a conductor extension cord?

Extension Cord? [ 5 Answers ]

I am wondering if a person can cut the ends off an extension and use it to run power from your house to a shed. The extgension cord is a heavy duty 10 gauge cord. And can you run it through conduit? There would be 20-25ft of this cord in conduit and 25ft ran in the house. I'm just looking to save...

In wall extension cord? [ 2 Answers ]

We had our TV mounted and installed a month ago and the installer said I should get an in wall extension cord because I couldn't run the tv's power cord through the wall. But when I googled the in wall extension cords it said that they weren't permanent fixes. What do I do to conceal the TV power...

Make uf extension cord [ 3 Answers ]

Since outdoor extension cords should not be buried, can you make a uf cable "extension" cord to plug into a ground fault outdoor outlet and then bury it?

Gauge extension cord can I use as a temporary 'fix' to plug in my washer? [ 3 Answers ]

The outlet my washing machine should be plugged into at the moment does not work. I need to do laundry, so what gauge extension cord can I use to plug it into another, temporary, outlet until an electrician can fix the outlet?

View more questions Search