Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hopegroves Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2010, 11:58 PM
    Changes light switch; now outlets don't work
    Changed the light switch in my office. The light works fine but now no outlets in the room have any power. What gives?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2010, 06:00 AM

A wire came loose in the switchbox, could be the white or hot wire.
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2010, 06:04 AM

Help us help you by providing more info:
    1. Were there more than 2 wires going to the switch?
    2. Do the outlets have power when the switch is ON?

I suspect the answer to #1 is yes.
    If the answer to #2 is no, then a hot wire is probably not connected.
    If the answer to #2 is yes, then the hot wire to the outlets is in on the wrong side of the switch. Figure out which is the supply wire, the light wire, and the outlet wire (generally by trial and error--and a volt meter). Then put the supply and outlet wire on one side of the switch and the light wire on the other side of the switch.

Hopefully, this will make sense when you get back in there.
    WallyH

Edit: An as Stratmando above said, it could be a white wire came loose that goes to the outlets.
    hopegroves Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2010, 08:45 AM
    That was it exactly! It turns out that the switch isn't grounded at all, so I took the wire off the ground screw and moved it to the other side with another wire. When I turned it on, it turned everything on - outlets included - but when I turned it off, it turned everything off, too. So I turned everything off again, moved the wire to the other post, turned it on and now it's perfect!

Thank you SO much!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 28, 2010, 12:40 PM

What do you mean the switch isn't grounded? How could you take a wire off the ground screw if it isn't grounded. I don't know what you did but it sounds WRONG. Tell us what wires are in the switch box.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Light switch and outlets [ 1 Answers ]

Hey guys, it's me again. Just wondering if there is a certain height to place a light switch and outlets? Thanks again guys:)

I have a switch with power to it and wire going to a light,a wire going to outlets [ 3 Answers ]

I have a switch box with power to it and wire going to a light to the left out of the switch box and a wire going to outlets to the right out of the switch box. How do I wire the switch to make both the light and the outlets work properly?

Light/fan combo, switch and outlets issue [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, I am having a bit of problem in my bedroom. There are 3 outlets, 1 switch and one ceiling fan/light combo installed. The problem is that when the switch is in OFF position, 2 out of 3 outlets are not working, but the fan still works and the light flickers (if fans chain is pulled so the...

Add a switch with a pilot light to a run of outlets for control [ 4 Answers ]

I want to add a switch with a pilot light to a run of outlets so I can control and know when my switched outlet is on. I purchased a switch with a pilot light. IT has three terminals plus ground The switch has terminals with a silver and brass screw on one side and a black terminal on the...

Light Switch won't work, light is burning [ 3 Answers ]

I walked into my house and turned on the kitchen overhead light. A loud electrical pop went off and the light blew. It did not blow the fuse but the light cannot be turned off now. Is the switch bad?

View more questions Search