Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robvw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2006, 11:22 AM
    Electrical service question
    I just purchased an old house that has a fuse panel with two 60 amp fuses for the main. Is this considered 60 Amp or 120 Amp service? I guess it is 60 Amp per phase but I am not sure of the "Service" terminology. I am looking to upgrade to 200 Amp service as I want to get rid of the boiler and radiated heat system and install natural gas furnace with central air. I assume that I am going to need a new feed run by the local utility?

The house is a 1570 sq ft ranch with 3 BR and 2 BA built in 1955. The stove is gas. I am putting in washer, gas dryer, gas stove, refrigerator, dishwasher, and garbage disposal. Since the wires that are currently run do not have a ground, they are only two wires, I guess I need to run all new wiring in the house as well to bring it up to code?

Do all my assumptions sound valid?

Thanks,

Rob
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2006, 02:33 PM
    A 60 amp fuse per leg is only a 60 amp service, never add the two together. So a new 200 amp service will have a 200 amp breaker, 200 amp per leg.

Unless you are doing any remodeling in the home, the old two wire cable does may not need to be replaced, as per your local code official. But doing so will be a really good idea, and add value and safety to the home.

Something is unusual, most finance and mortgage companies for the last several years have been requiring old fusible electric services to be upgraded to new circuit breaker services. And insurance companies, before underwriting replacement policies also require the same.

They usually want the seller to get the upgrade done before they take over the resposibility, unless you negotiated this.

Contact the local inspection or building office and the local utility to find out what the local requirements are for new services, as the vary greatly by region

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to calculate electrical service needs [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I frequently do art shows. The only electricity we need is to power six clamp-on lights, each using a 65 watt bulb. For the first time ever, we are being asked to request the type of service we need, i.e. up to 600 watts or 5 amps, up to 1000 watts or 8.3 amps, etc. I hate to be...

Electrical service size [ 3 Answers ]

I'm ready to install electric boilers in my shop that has not been wired yet. The boilers require 80/80 and 60/30 amps according to manufacturer literature. Does this mean that I need 250 amps plus normal lights/welder/compressor draws? Like 350amp service? Does the service have to be able to...

Mobile Home Electrical Service [ 6 Answers ]

Thgis is a combination electrical/legal guestion. Who is responsible for the service drop in a mobile home park? I live in Pennsylvania and was recently told by a human services agency here that weatherization could not be started on my mobile home until a problem with the main electrical...

Electrical Service Sizing [ 5 Answers ]

I have 2 electrical subpanels to install off my home's service. My home service is 800 Amps. These will be taken as 2 separate runs off my main service box. The first is for a barn which is 250 feet away and I want to put in a 100 Amp panel. The second will run to a well house which is 300...

What type of electrical service do I need? [ 13 Answers ]

My name is JC and I was wondering what type of electrical service I need. My circuit breaker panel only has 26 breakers in it and it is 100 AMPS. The electrician says I will need increase my service to 200 AMPS. This will give me room for 40 Breakers. I am rewiring the house and I do not have...

View more questions Search