Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bcc1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2006, 12:17 PM
    200 Amp Service upgrade
    Good afternoon,
    Here's the scenario: I picked up a house that was in the middle of a remodel. Seeing a new 200 Amp breaker box, I dug around and found the old breaker box was a 100 Amp. The wires entering the house have not been replaced, as in they are too small, 2/0. I went out to the meter base, and the box under the base looks like it at one time had a breaker unit in it that they took out and just spliced the wires together in acorn nuts covered with feet of black electrical tape.
    Okay, okay, I know this is way out of code and not right. So, where do I go from here? I have contacted the utility company and I'm to meet them at the house Wednesday. I just want to be able to know what to expect in the way of materials I'll need and what I need them to do.
    I know I'll have to replace the wiring going into the house, about 100'. I would like to have a way to shut off the power out at the pole to be able to work in the house, so I'll need a 200 Amp disconnect? Is that correct. I only see one grounding rod at the pole. And I am guessing I need to ask the utility company for a 200 Amp service upgrade?
    Thanks for any help.
    Barry.
    bcc1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2006, 07:33 AM
    Wow, the responses and help here have been so thoughtful and inspiring! Thank you ever so much for absolutely no help at all and Happy New Year to all. I can only hope that I can be of some assistance to you in my area of expertise at some time in the future.
    bcc1
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2006, 04:56 PM
    Sorry, sometimes questions are missed, not very often, but it does happen. All we can hope that if is missed the question is re-posted as you did.

First, please read the first Sticky post at the top of the electric forum, there is some information that may be helpful.

To start, at the service pole can be a 200 amp meter socket and disconnect with breaker combination, then #4/0 URD cable, which has 4 wires consisting of two hots one neutral, and an equipment ground.

Any grounding must be done at the disconnect, so two 8 foot ground rods will need to be driven at the service pole to ground the neutral and euipment ground lug there.

A new 200 amp panel with enough brach breaker spaces for what is needed now, plus space for future circuits is installed in place of the existing panel. This panel does not need a 200 amp breaker, as the main is already out at the pole. It can have one if you like but is not necessary.

As far as who to contact, usually both the local inspector, if none then the state, AND the utility need to be contacted to discover any local codes, requirements, and type of meter socket.

Again, sorry to get you lost in the pile, hope this helps, if not please get back with any additional questions, and I will pick up on it. You can private message me if you like also.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2006, 05:42 PM
    I used to answer many electrical questions here, but yours is a good example of the sort I let go because I can't give an good answer and now somebody else can. Better no answer at all than a poor one.

I still jump in on some of the easier questions, and I am quick to point out bad answers like a recent one suggesting you don't need to bother with ground wires.

Both the users and I are better off since tkrussel came.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New 200 amp service [ 21 Answers ]

Upgrading to new 200 amp service. I have installed new 200amp /main lug/30 spaces /40 circuit/ Square d in house. I have ran #4/o al. with ground in 2 inch conduit, 24 inch below ground, to outside where new 200 amp serv. Disc. Will be. Ground is rocky with clay. I am worn out, used old pick and...

What is my service... 200 amp? [ 5 Answers ]

This should be simply I think, but I'm not certain about the answer. My main breaker consists of four 200 amp breakers gang bared to trip together. Does this mean I have 200 amp main service or more?

Home Electric service 200 amp upgrade [ 2 Answers ]

I need to upgrade my current 100 amp service with fuses, to a new 200 amp service Box. What would the total ball park price be including labor, and material. Thanks,

200 amp service with a 200 amp outdoor breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how to wire a 200 amp outdoor breaker enclosure.I have 4/0 scu cable for my service head to the meter,and 4/0 scu from meter to breaker enclosure.Then from the breaker enclosure I have 4/0 ser cable to my panel.What is the proper wiring method in the enclosure,please help.

200 amp service [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a 200 amp,underground residentual service. My ungrounded service leads will be - wire size 4/0. My question is, can I use a smaller size wire for my grounded netural?

View more questions Search