Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SirBrian Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2010, 05:33 PM
    Can I use a 10/3 extension cord to run 220 apporximatley 100'ft?
    I have a planer, an old Craftsman 12" from the mid 1930's to 1940's that is powered by a 208/230 volt 1 phase 5 hp 1725 rpm induction motor. I have this in my garage/utility building/shed/woodshop/workshop which does not have any power run to it. At the present moment, I am using a standard 100' ft extension cord (Yellow Jacket) and running 110 to the building. I also have a 100'ft 10/3 extension cord(also a Yellow Jacket), that is set up for 110.
    My question is=Can I use this 10/3 extension cord(if converted to 220 plug ends) to run 220 to this building, which is approximately 75'ft - 100'ft from the source, and power this motor with it? So I can use this planer? I have no other need for 220 other than this planer and if the damn thing didn't weigh 600 lb's and didn't take 3 strong men to move it-I would just bring it to the source, but that is not possible At ALL! So this is my only solution.
    Other than running a direct burial cable, or running conduit, and installing 220 to the building, which I do not want to get into because of the area I am at(Apartment). The extension cord is my only option, even if I have to purchase one for this particular purpose. I would rather not buy one though if I can use this one.

Thanks for listening and I hope I have a valid question.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 11, 2010, 05:42 PM

10 gauge would Ok for about 40' but I think you'd need at least #6 for this.
    SirBrian Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2010, 05:44 PM

Yes I found that in another thread--thank you though!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Extension Cord? [ 5 Answers ]

I am wondering if a person can cut the ends off an extension and use it to run power from your house to a shed. The extgension cord is a heavy duty 10 gauge cord. And can you run it through conduit? There would be 20-25ft of this cord in conduit and 25ft ran in the house. I'm just looking to save...

In wall extension cord? [ 2 Answers ]

We had our TV mounted and installed a month ago and the installer said I should get an in wall extension cord because I couldn't run the tv's power cord through the wall. But when I googled the in wall extension cords it said that they weren't permanent fixes. What do I do to conceal the TV power...

Make uf extension cord [ 3 Answers ]

Since outdoor extension cords should not be buried, can you make a uf cable "extension" cord to plug into a ground fault outdoor outlet and then bury it?

Very long outdoor extension cord? [ 7 Answers ]

I need to run an eletrical extension cord anywhere between 250 to 350 feet to run a mini dorm refrig, a light and radio. I will connect it to a outlet in my house which is that far away. Any ideas if this is possible and what type of cord I would need. Thanks a bunch for any help. ...

Very long outdoor extension cord? [ 9 Answers ]

I need to run an eletrical extension cord anywhere between 250 to 350 feet to run a mini dorm refrig, a light and radio. I will connect it to a outlet in my house which is that far away. Any ideas if this is possible and what type of cord I would need. Thanks a bunch for any help. ...

View more questions Search