Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    butchfragrance Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2009, 09:37 PM
    What type of plug will I need to wire my air compressor 208-240 volt 15 amp motor
    I just bought a 60 gallon air compressor and it didn't come with a plug. I need to know what type of plug I'm going to need to wire to it. It just has 2 connections (1 black 1 white). What type of plug do I buy to hook up, and where can I get one? The motor is 208-240 volts 15 amps.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2009, 06:47 PM
    This compressor is probably intended to be hard wired, with a ground. Are there just two wires at the control or is there an actual cord coming from it?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2009, 08:21 AM

I would agree. Hardwired to a separate circuit with a disconnect. Local if required. This also allows you to size the circuit based on motor loads. i.e. The breaker can be larger than what would normally be allowed for resistive loads.

What is the wire gage of the cord that's connected. Did the compressor say whay size circuit and wire size that's needed?
    What is the HP of the motor?

Distance to the panel may be useful too.

It's really best to hardwire motor loads of that size.

I'll bet 15A is the circuit size required because I'll also bet it's not a 2.5 HP motor.

If you do decide to go the standard 15 A route, I'd reccomentd a right angle plug. They hold and don't unplug easy, but are very expensive. Like $15-$20. The ones I used for a project were hospital grade. These plugs allow inspections of the wiring because part of the housings are clear.

If this is a permanent installation, you could also use a twist lock.

Do not by a cheap plug.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you run a 208 volt heating panel on 240 volt electrical supply [ 1 Answers ]

I have a baseboard electric heater that is 208 volts. My power supply is 240 volts. What will happen if I try to run m y 240 volt electrical supply to my 208 volt electric baseboard heater?

What size wire for 30 amp 240 volt electric heater [ 1 Answers ]

What size wire should I use for a 30 amp 240 volt electric heater for my guarge?

Will a 208 volt 3 phase mixer work off a 240 volt 3 phase service? [ 7 Answers ]

I have 240 volt 3 phase service and I have a 208 volt 3 phase mixer. Can I hook it up to the 240 volt 3 phase service? Also I have a 208 volt 3 phase oven will it work for that as well?

240 volt plug [ 1 Answers ]

What color wires go to which terminals on a four-prong male 240 volt plug?

240 volt four wire in 240 three wire outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a generator that has (2) 20 amp 110 outlets and (1) 240 outlet. The 240 outlet have receptacle for four wire plug but I want to use it in a three 930 wire 240 volt plug at other end. Is this a workable solution?

View more questions Search