Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    x2boxers Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2009, 09:12 AM
    New dimmer switch will not dim light - taking power from 3 way switch
    New dimmer switch will not dim light - I am trying to hook up a dimmer switch in a electrical box that already contains a three way switch. I am trying to take power from the three way switch to power the new dimmer and light. The way it is hooked up now the new light works but will not dim with the dimmer switch.
    daddysmurf Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2010, 07:43 PM

First I'll ask you do you have a tester ? The first thing you must do is to determine the hot and neutral then it should be no problem from the hot you will connect one wire to the 3 way hot and one to the dimmer hot . Second connect the neutrals into the circuit. Right now it sounds as if the three way is controlling the dimmer
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 6, 2010, 07:54 PM

Was there a white neutral in that box too and how are you tapping in the neutral to the dimmable light?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring a dimmer switch for a light [ 9 Answers ]

I am trying to wire a dimmer switch for a light. I have 4 wires coming out of the wall . Grey, black, pink and a copper wire. I assume the blk is hot, copper is ground and I do not know what the grey and pink do. All I know is that the old switch that was there was a standard light switch and when...

Installing Light-Fan Dimmer Switch [ 9 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan and recessed lights in my living room, whenturning on the light switch everything comes on. I purchased a dimmer switch to control lights and ceiling fan separate. I have some electrical knowledge, but I guess not enough, Please help. Thanks

Installing a fan/light switch dimmer [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I installed a harbor bay ceiling fan and light. Initially the lights did work, but not the fan, so we reconnected the wires for the fan and once we did that we had the fan working but then no lights. (This is inside the fan/light box itself, not on wall) When I went to install a new...

Dimmer switch for a fan and light [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed a dual dimmer switch for a light and fan on the same switch. I can adjust the fan speed only from one side but every time I adjust the light switch, the fan also adjusts according to how I adjust the light. I have a black(hot) wire, a red wire and a bare copper cable coming from...

Dual Dimmer Switch for light and fan [ 2 Answers ]

I am having trouble also installing a dual dimmer switch for my light and fan. I can only get it to work both at the same time. I have a three wire (plus ground) black, white and red going from the switch box to the fan/light. And I have three wires coming from the fan/light unit and three wires...

View more questions Search