Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    don drigans Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2006, 05:25 PM
    Wood pole lighting
    I am putting up 25' wood pole and mounting a dust to dawn lite. I want to run a 3/4 emt up the pole with a weather head on it. Do I need to ground the lite it's 25' in the air?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2006, 05:48 PM
    Technically no, because it is over eight foot and inaccessible to anyone touching it, but I believe the light will need to be grounded per manufacturers instructions.HID Ballasts usually require grounding.

Can I suggest using Schedule 40 PVC, and if really subjected to physical damage, use Sch 80 PVC for the pole riser. It will hold up to the elements much better than EMT, does not need to be grounded, but you can add a green wire to the circuit and attach to the light.
    don drigans Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2006, 06:11 PM
    Wood pole lighting
    Would this meet the nec 2002 for this project
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2006, 02:46 AM
    Yes and 2005 edition of NEC

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

20 amp double pole gfci [ 9 Answers ]

I am working on an addition and am installing a whirlpool tub. The tub requires 2 - 20 amp GFCI protect circuits: 1 for the pump and 1 for the heater. I ran 12/3 wire in the walls thinking I could have the BLACK wire go from 1 GFCI breaker to the pump outlet and the RED wire go from a 2nd GFCI...

Cable size ? Meter on pole 75ft to equip shed [ 2 Answers ]

We have a mobile home meter on a pole at our farm (w/ 200 amp service panel) (installed just for this purpose, there is no mobile home on it and never will be) and we plan on running the power from here to our equip shed to a main service panel... then run off this to our small barn.. distance from...

Casablanca Fan with Single pole, triple throw, with off position [ 3 Answers ]

Witch Color goes into which electrical connection: We have black, grey, pink and yellow colors and stations L-1-2-3 Thanks

Need longer pole for fan [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I just got my fan and realized that because I have a slanted ceiling I need to extend the polr from the ceiling. Are there poles available? I need at least 20" from the ceiling. Will this affect how the fan works?

Embedded pole foundations [ 0 Answers ]

I am planning a cabin for part-time use. Does a pressure-treated, embedded pole foundation save that much over a reinforced footing and concrete block? To be sure of being below the frost line, I like the footing bottom to be about 32" below grade. Your input will be appreciated. Stoker

View more questions Search