Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gooseonrocks Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2009, 06:10 PM
    How to install a ceiling fan with a light and switch controlling the light and fan
    Hi,

I've read so many posts, but can't figure this out. (don't laugh)

At the switch: The wiring from the wall has RED, BLACK, and GROUND (bare). The switch is a dimmer for both the fan and light. Wires are BLUE, RED, and BLACK. SO, how do I hook this up?

At the fan: The wiring from the ceiling has RED, BLACK, WHITE, and GROUND (bare). The fan itself has BLUE, BLACK, and WHITE. How do I hook this up?

I'm so confused. Help!

Thanks,

RJ
    Attached Images

donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 18, 2009, 06:58 PM

Just from looking at your pictures, I would say:
    I think that we are looking at power being sourced from the switch. With a Black and Red feed to the and a connection with white to white. I would connect red to blue and black to Black. At the ceiling I would connect Red to the Blue on the light package and Black to Black. Then I would connect White from the switch outlet to the White on the fan.

If your power source is not supplied by the switches do not attempt the above connection process. Get back to me as soon as possible and we will connect for a switch loop.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2009, 12:29 AM

Don, it's clearly not a switch loop.

How many wires are at the switch? You only mention two plus ground but it looks like more.

What was there before and how was it controlled?

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More
    gooseonrocks Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2009, 02:30 PM

There are 3, black, red, and bare. It's a brand new place, so there was nothing there but a plate to cover the hole. There are 2 switches at the plate... the one on the left controls the lights in the room.
    jerro Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Jul 21, 2009, 02:53 PM

You need constant power to feed your new swtich. You switch to the left should have a constant hot connected to one of the screws. You will need a tester to check which one it is when the switch is off.Once you determine which wire is hot disconnect it from the switch. Cut a 6inch piece of wire and connect it to the screw that you took the other wire off. Hopefully you still have the wiring diagram that came with the new switch to know which color needs to be connected to the hot/incoming power. Connect this wire, the short wire from the left switch and the constant hot wire together with a wire nut. All your white wires in the switch box should already be connected together by a wire nut. Determine which color wire from the new switch is for the fan and connect that to the black wire to the fan, connect the other color wire for the light and connect that to the red wire to the light on the fan. At the ceiling connect the black to black for the fan, connect the red to the blue for the light,connect the white to the white and the bare to green wire.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 21, 2009, 03:31 PM

First hang the ceiling fan/light. Connect the white to white, the black to black and the blue to red.

At the switch box, remove the switch for the room lights. Don't unwire just take out screws and pull switch out so you can get to wires. There will be two 2 wire cables and a 3 wire cable in the box. The white wires of the 2 wire cables will be connected together with a wire nut. Connect the white of the 3 wire cable to the other white wires if not already connected. One of the 2 wire cables will be the hot coming to the switch box. The other will be the 2 wire cable going to the light. We don't know which is which at this time. Pick one and connect the black of the fan/light switch to the black of that cable. Connect the red of the fan/light switch to the black of the 3 wire cable and connect the blue of the fan/light switch to the red of the 3 wire cable.

Turn power on. If everything works like it is suppose to you are OK. If nothing works turn light switch on. If anything works, and something should, you picked the wrong wire for the incoming hot. Connect the black of the fan/light switch to the black of the other 2 wire cable.

If fan works and light doesn't or if light works and fan doesn't, reverse the red and black wires of the fan switch.

When both the fan and light are working check to see that the fan side of the switch is controlling the fan and the light side is controlling the light. If not reverse the blue and the red/black wire (the one that is not connected to the hot).

If you have problems post back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding a light kit to ceiling fan w/ light & dimmer switch [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to add a light kit to a ceiling fan(cannot find a name on it) that is currently hooked and working up in our family room - since we moved in 6 years ago (house was built in 1991). I would like this to operate like our bedroom ceiling fan (which already has a light attached) and...

Ceiling light install from a wall plug that is on/off switch [ 9 Answers ]

I have a bedroom wall plug. There is switch that turns power off & on , on the lower plug. I want to be able to set the switch up to turn a new ceiling light on & off and just have the wall plug with permanent hydro. What is the best way to set this up.

Trying to install a Lutron Maestro Fan/Light dimmer switch with a CD52 ceiling fan [ 2 Answers ]

Hey everyone, I'm trying to find the wiring diagram for my ceiling fan but I'm not having any luck, best I could find is this forum. I've got the lutron MA-LFQ-3 kit which has a fan control canopy module and a master/slave light/fan dimming combo. I have the fan apart and it has a molex...

Install ceiling fan light socket and fan switch [ 1 Answers ]

I removed broken light switch pull chain only to find out light socket was also bad. Removed light socket and tried to replace. The old light socket had a wire in addition to the standard black and white. Can I use the standard light socket or do I need to find this socket with third wire? I hooked...

Installing a light kit on a ceiling fan where a switch enables both fan and light [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with three wires emerging from the top: white, black, red, and green. Presently the white, black, and green are hooked up to a switch and the fan works fine. The red is capped. The fan also has a chain which I intend on keeping on the medium setting indefinitely. ...

View more questions Search